Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

References

dweston

Say I have an assembly that uses a part called "A". When I move part A to a new folder and then open the assembly, Solidworks says "Hey I can't find part A, would you like to find it". So, I show it where I have moved part A and the assembly opens fine. I make sure to save the assembly.

Now, I would think a pretty good assumption would be that the Assembly would have replaced the reference for part A to the new folder and everything is fine...but NO!. EVERY time I open the assembly, dumbass Solidworks doesn't know where part A is!!! Grrrr this is getting frustrating. Somebody must be able to help me here. Thanks!
smiley17.gif

Hi dweston,

I haven't had that happen to me, but here's what I would try.
  1. Open the assembly.
  2. Right click on part A in the assembly and select Open Part.
  3. Rebuild and save part A.
  4. Rebuild and save the assembly.
I hope that works for you.

Audra

Hi

If you delete the part out of the assembly then open it on it's own and save as copy using a different name (part name ver1 eg) then open the assembly and insert this new part new file reference should be create solving the prob.

G

Thanks for the help guys. i just found out about Solidworks Explorer, plus an added little bonus....when you are at the "Open File" screen, you can hit a little button that says "References" and you can break references and reassign them. Yay!
smiley32.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back