Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Learning Solidworks

fishman

Hi all,

I'm a fairly experienced Pro/E user and I want to learn Solidworks. Any recommendations? Is there a decent trial version available?

I was fairly experienced proE user, and I found Solidworks very easy to learn. The help functionality is excellent.

Twomajor differences are how GD&T is handled in drawings (not so good), and how family tables (called "configurations" in SWX) are handled (better? not sure, but maybe. jury's still out). Being able to use Excel for this is a definite advantage.

I found that the online tutorial took me a long way to being fairly productive. The basic training course was almost painful to sit through, although I had been using SWXa good 4 months by the time I got into training. I did pick up some good pointers to increase efficiency, though.

There are some student versions out there, but my understanding is that they are very limited.

Well I have the Student Version now, and it just so happens that I'm
starting a new job in two weeks. I'll be using Pro/e and
Solidworks. The company is going to train me in Solidworks, but I
would like to get a jump start. I don't really want to dish out
60 to 100 more bucks for a book. Are there any free tutorials
online?

Thanks,

Ben

FISHMAN,

There is an "online tutorial" under the HELP dropdown menu which will give you a rudimentary start on learning. It is called online, but that is just their name for it and an ISP connection is not needed.

there are a lot of good tutorials from solidprofessor for free. I found a whole section of tutorials that were free onanother forum..

Best to sit with someone for 5 or 10 hours. Saves so much time!

Skatboardkid.... my company has a half pipe next door to our office!

If you need some FREE online tutorials for SolidWorks, go to http://www.3DCADTips.com. Currently there are over 300 SolidWorks tutorials and and also over 1,700 SolidWorks tips as well as Books, Models and Downloads.

Good Luck!
Edited by: DefCon5

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back