Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Multi tapered bone screw threads

joeym

I've been a ProE user for seven years and I've recently converted to Solid Works 6.0. One of the more challenging models I've not yet been able to create is a custom multi-tapered bone screw thread that is parametrically editable throughthe design table. ProE utilized a helical cut sweep that would generate a tapered helix via a law curve based on a sketched trajectory and then prompt the user to insert a sketch of the thread profile and specify a pitch. The sketch geometry could then be inserted into the parametric table and instances generated. Any thread form could be generated with this single function option.

In Solid Works I've attempted to duplicate this technique by creating a tapered helix using the variable pitch option and indicating a height and diameter of the tapered helix (while maintaining a constant pitch), creating a plane normal to the start of the helix, sketching the thread profile on the normal plane which piercing the helix sketch, and using the cut sweep function to generate the cut along the screw blank. These will create atrue thread, however I cannot not seem to link the features to create the helix in the design table and hence the model is not really parametric.

I've also tried a more convoluted technique of creating a revolve surface that represented the taper I need in the helix, create another revolve sweep of a straight helix, and create a 3D curve at the intersection of the surfaces....theresultis atapered helix, however it's composedin segments which when used in cut sweep operation generaratestwisted thread geometry. This later method can be parametrically controlled in the design table, but the geometryitcreatesis pretty but not a true thread (i.e. it cannot be made on a lathe).

Is there a way to generate a multi-tapered custom thread form that is parametricallycontrolablein the design table?

Needhelp urgently.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back