Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Tube bending

draco

Hi,

I am new to SolidWorks and wondered whats the best approach to modelling bent tubular frames? Typically, a steel tubewith several bends at different angles. I have done the 3d sketching tutorial of the wire rack but finding difficulty creating the3d sketch centreline of the tube anywhere other than on the standard planes of the tutorial. I need toeasily edit the straight length between bends, centre line radius, angle of rotation for the bendand bend angles too.

Thanks
Edited by: draco

For the most part the best way is a sweep feature. Try when sketching in 3D to hit the tab key to change the orientation of the line direction this may help in the sketching department Editing the straight lengths line radius and such can be done with dimentions. Draw the basic shape without the bends and then add sketch fillets ofter the basic shape is there at the appropriate radii, remember that if you do a swept feature you do not have to have the path on the centerline of the profile you can have it at the edge of a profile as well.

Another option although hard to execute properly is the flex commmand, you can see a tutorial on my blog / Podcast at http://mountain-wave.blogspot.com/ (look for flex command and download the video file, alternately you can get it via iTunes or other podcatcher programs via the podcast feed url of http://feeds.feedburner.com/Mountain-wave

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply. However, I have tried your first suggestion but thats as per the tutorial within SolidWorks for the wire tray. Hitting the TAB key only switches between the 3 planes. Also, when the component is manufactured on a CNC tube bender its the straight runs, angle and rotation that drives the geometry. If I put the fillets in after, the linear dimensions go to the invisible apex point not the tangent with the arc - this will be difficult to work out even on a simple 110 degree bend.

I will take look at your podcast but surely there is a simple way to do this as its pretty standard stuff for CNC tube bending companies I would have thought. Has SolidWorks completly missed something here? Or have I?

Thanks for your valuable input

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back