Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

bringing in native pro-e parts...

Asmodeus

hi guys,

i'm fairly new here, but i'm glad i discovered this site... it's very nice... now on to the meat of my post... i work in a pro-e wildfire 2.0 house... i've used solidworks since day one and i've pro-e 2000i years ago and now i'm also a pro-e wildfire user... one of the big questions here at work is whether to get a license of solidworks for the ability to be able to bring in pro-e files natively for the ability to disseminate those models out to our vendors who do use solidworks...

now for the life of me i can't seem to remember whether solidworks 2005 or 2006 could bring in pro-e parts natively and get a full build history in solidworks without getting an encryption error...? i don't have access to solidworks anymore to try, so that's why i'm asking here... thanks...

I tried to open (5) Pro-E files yesterday in Solidworks 2006 SP3.1and (4) of them had some kind of error. So I don't think Solidworks has it figured out completely just yet.

SolidWorks will read a native ProE file, and you can choose to keep it as dumb data or get it to analyse the model, but I thinkthis looks at the model as dumb data and tries to work out how it was created, so if you have a very simply shape like a box it will construct a sketch and extrude it. This is the same way SolidWork' s add on featureWorks works...which is not great. You are better off just using STEP and IGES...sorry

I've noticed that STEP and IGES seem to work better too. For some reason on complex parts and assemblies, Solidworks doesn't like the native Pro-E files. I'm not sure if Pro-E can create parasolid files, but Solidworks seems to like those the best.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back