Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

steel cables

silviumbv

Hallo!

I need help in this: how can I draw a cable
smiley7.gif
(not electrical one, but a one which used on a fitness machine, steel cable). I want to test it with CosmosMotion.

Thanx!

I modeled a cable using a straight strand "wire" to start the assembly, and one helical counteclockwise swept circular pattern of six wires, and another helical swept clocwise circular pattern of twelve wires.

OK.. but I don't want just to look like a cable.. but I want to behave like one.

If I will use your method, what do I have to change in the material proprietes to behave like a steel cable?

You might want to research different methods of cable construction and materials with stainless or carbon steels.

silviumbv said:
Hallo!

I need help in this: how can I draw a cable
smiley7.gif
(not electrical one, but a one which used on a fitness machine, steel cable). I want to test it with CosmosMotion.

Thanx!

are you also going to fea this cable as well...?

silviumbv said:
YES, I will FEA this cable... Can you help me?

i can try, but you need to be pretty specific about what it is you want to exactly with this cable... so this cable will be a multi-strand cable, you've already assigned it a material, and no you just need to model it's tensile strength over a pully system moving weights...? and if so, do you want to see what the stretch factors will be and by how much...? i'm just trying to understand exactly what you would like to do with this cable...

You understood exactly! But, I haven't modeled yet.. I want to know how to begin. Yes, after that, I want to know what the stretch factors will be.

I will use this cables for an aircarft command system of the tail.

Thanxfor your help!

Edited by: silviumbv

silviumbv said:
You understood exactly! But, I haven't modeled yet.. I want to know how to begin. Yes, after that, I want to know what the stretch factors will be.

I will use this cables for an aircarft command system of the tail.

Thanxfor your help!

well, you are first going to have specify the type of steel strand cable you want, take it apart and measure each strand and then model the helical sweep for each one, assemble it into an assembly as a set of larger strands that make up the overall cable... but you will have to assign as detailed of a material property for that first cable strand and then it will apply to the overall cable assembly... once your done with that, then you can setup your FEA as you see fit... as far as the stretch factor is concerned, here are the basic calculations that you will need:

elastic stretch = (W x L) / (E x A)

where:

W = applied load (kN)
L = length of cable (mm)
E = strand modulus (kN/mm^2)
A = area of cable (2d x pi) / 4

i think i got that right... i'll double check, but this is the calculation you should be using in your FEA model... good luck...

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back