Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Splines

Can't you just draw the spline, offset it to the desired thickness and extrude it? If the offset doesn't work properly, I've had to either draw in a second spline to the desired thickness, or just add to the spline that didn't offset properly.

I'm working on a transmission and there a number of splines involved. Not knowing much about them I had to call a gear mfg to get some info. Lots available to say the least. and complicated. I'm just learing about them. So don't take me to task too much here.

There are several diferent kinds of splines ...involute, straight, angled and a bunch of others.

An easy one is an angle one. say 30 deg or 45 deg. I simply make a sketch on the end of the shaft and create a either a cut or extrude cut to depth. Then do a circular pattern. I do the same in reverse for the mating part. Finally when it fits I adjust both for fit tolerance. There are 6 fits involved and maybe more so stackup can kill you easily. The geometry goes to cnc and you get the best shot. Hopefully it fits. LOL. The closer you fit things the less likely they will fit together. Throw in 2 different operators and 2 different cnc machines then heat treat the parts and it is a wonder the world goes around at all LOL.

Here is another way. If you select a gear from the tool box the right size and pitch. Save it with a new name. Then add a shaft to it . Then take an internal gear of the same pitch and tooth count and save it with a new name and alter it as needed. This actually works if the pitch is not too great and the diameter is not too small. In reality the gear shop can alter the tooth profile so it will work anyway.. Just costs more and is not as strong. I made a syncronizer this way. It works so far.

Keep in mind you need a cutter to cut a shaft spline. I use about a 2" dia fillit at the end of "spline tracks" to represent this. There are smaller ones but less common.

Hope this helps.

you would just view the revolved cylinder from the bottom end (the end you want the threads on) and set up a sketch plane thereon the end of the solid shape.sketch just one of the spline shapes you need , if you turn on temprary axis (under view)you can revolve the feature around the same midpoint as the cylinder, using the circular pattern tool, and selecting the temporary axis.

the original extrusion will controllhow deep the splines go, see how some are half way down the shaft and others are up to a surface? best of luck.
Edited by: skateboardkid

Actually there was a fantastic tool called MechSoft Knowledge Center, a popup window opens you choose the type of spline you want, put in the size, length, number of splines, etc and it creates a fully definable 3D model or feature depending on your need....

Now having said how fantastic it is I have bad news, I believe it was bought up by AutoDesk and is no longer available for SW, I have a version from 2004 that still works in SW 2006.

You may want to check around and see if you can find a copy, if it is one or two parts and you have all the dimensions I could probably knock out what you need in about 10 minutes, if you have an existing drawing that would be best.

Let me know,

Gary

[email protected]

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back