Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

looking for Solidworks

steveclark

Hi everone,

My name is Steve. I have been working with Autocadd for around 5 years. I am looking to learn Solidworks and get a job using it with in 18 months. That is my plan anyhow.

The problem is I cannot purchase the student version. So how can I get a copy?

I plan one taking one course for around $1000 for 40 hrs!!! The learnig the rest myself.

Any info on how I can buy a copy of Solidworks or any advice in general would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Steve,

Solid Works has a retraining program setup. I took it some time ago. You get a copy of Solid Works that is good for 90 days or possibly six months if my memory serves me correctly. Solid Professor has a really nice course starting from the basics to advanced and then updating to 2006 software. It would be a lot less than a $1000 course. Most MCAD users are self trained after learning the basics. according to an MCADCentral survey sometime ago. Your prior experience with AutoCAD will also come in handy. The use of these forums has gotten me out of trouble a number of times. I would contact a Reseller about what you intend to do or go right to the the Solid Works web site and search for the retraining program option. One last point as far as learning MCAD goes.The learning never stops, it goes on and on as you get better and better. Good Luck to you and Happy New Year.
Edited by: WeeWillie

WeeWillie said:
Hi Steve,

Solid Works has a retraining program setup. I took it some time ago. You get a copy of Solid Works that is good for 90 days or possibly six months if my memory serves me correctly. Solid Professor has a really nice course starting from the basics to advanced and then updating to 2006 software. It would be a lot less than a $1000 course. Most MCAD users are self trained after learning the basics. according to an MCADCentral survey sometime ago. Your prior experience with AutoCAD will also come in handy. The use of these forums has gotten me out of trouble a number of times. I would contact a Reseller about what you intend to do or go right to the the Solid Works web site and search for the retraining program option. One last point as far as learning MCAD goes.The learning never stops, it goes on and on as you get better and better. Good Luck to you and Happy New Year.

Thnak you

Hi there, maybe you sould save your money and by Solidprofessor :) it may be just what you need. I got it and I am wayyyyy ahead of the game simply cuz I use it for a reference as well as a tutorial. Its about 600.00 for the whole package

Not sure if your area has Engineering program at a University or community college but if they offer CAD courses of any sort I think if you show proof you are enrolled you can gain the Student version of Solidworks. I was in the Engineering Design program at MassBay community college and got my Student version the within the last 2 months before I graduated. The license is supposedly only good for two years but mine is still working and its been over three. This might be a cheapier option than taking a reseller class unless your employer ispaying forthe reseller class then it would be a better option. Most CAD classes I took in the evening were usually full of people upgrading their skills working in the industry. Day classes tended to be full of younger students and one or two old guys or gals, me included lol. Its worth a look. Good luck

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back