Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

fixed vs coordinate system constraints

megaladon

this is more of a poll than anything

first of all let me say that all of my flexible piping assemblies are defaulted into our top levelassemblies. ButI prefer to just fixmost components in a routing rather than create and offset coordinate system.

Ihave heard that there used to be a problem fixing components and wanted to hear everyones philosophy on this topic.
Edited by: megaladon

use top down design!!!!

I either assemble the components to a surface in from the geometry using top down design or if i can be so organized affix everything to a CSO that both corresponds to the placement of the comportment in and the connector.
Edited by: design-engine

More and more latley i have been using top down and skeletons. Using planes to assemble parts to. Keeping in mind that you want to take advantage of a parametric modeling software. When in a large assembly and you change something, I want all the associated parts to update automatically. Using fixed constraints does nothing for me, infact i have been burned when i assumed all parts updated except for the only one that had a fixed constraint.

my 2 cents!

Gary

design-engine said:
use top down design!!!!

I either assemble the components to a surface in from the geometry using top down design or if i can be so organized affix everything to a CSO that both corresponds to the placement of the comportment in and the connector.

i would love to but... i am talking about 400 unique part numbers (hoses) with around 1500 instances between them all. we default the hose into the assembly and we do have a skeleton for some portions of the routing but not the hose ends themselves. they are fixed.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back