Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Assembly surfaces and part surfaces

zpaolo

I have a question regarding assigning materials to parts in an assembly and to surfaces in a part. My understanding is that if I have a part I can assign materials to single surfaces, but when I put this part in an assembly I can't address single surfaces but only the whole part (or sub-assembly). Is there a way to circumvent this? It would be nice if I have a model that has "no appearance" but for some specific surfaces, that once this model is put in an assembly if I apply a material at assy level the part level materials are retained only when explicitly applied... Best example: I have a LEGO mini figure, they always have yellow face and hands, but different body colors, today I have to sort this with family tables!

Paolo

I have a very similar question that I was trying to find an answer for. I have a large assy that I need to make some pretty pictures of. The powers that be want the model to look like the real product, which means I need a lot of parts to be very dark colors. I don't want to change the part colors permanently, as it would be to hard to work with the models later. In other words, I don't want to change the color that has already been assigned to the part.

I want a way to change the color of the surface or part in a way that I can recall it later, but I only want to see this new color to make my pics. Ideally, it would be like some kind of rep function. Does this make sense? Thanks for any input.

-Victor

victor-dot-com said:
I want a way to change the color of the surface or part in a way that I can recall it later, but I only want to see this new color to make my pics. Ideally, it would be like some kind of rep function. Does this make sense?

I don't know if you can change material in different reps, I don't think so, if the part have all the same color you could assign a material at part level, then assign a darker material at assembly level, in order not to affect the single parts. Or you can save a different assembly to apply the darker material

Paolo

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back