Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Set the search path

JeanT

Hi,
I am using WF3 and have some problems to set the search path.
I have set all the directories where proE have a look when I want to open. These directories are registered in the search.pro file. It looks something like that :
search_path D:\SYNCHRO PC\CAD\PRO E
search_path D:\SYNCHRO PC\CAD\PRO E\PROE CONFIG
search_path D:\SYNCHRO PC\CAD\PRO E\PROE CONFIG\proeng
search_path D:\SYNCHRO PC\CAD\PRO E\PROE CONFIG\proeng\biblio

Then, I put the "parameters files" (I mean Config.win, Config.pro, Color.map and Search.pro) in the directory where ProE starts (This one is D:\SYNCHRO PC\CAD\PRO E)
Nevertheless, when I start ProE, none of the files that are in the search path are read.

Can someone help me ?

To avoid this problem, I created a mapkey that read the search path. This means I have to click on this mapkey each time I start a new session

I'd start by eliminating all the spaces in your paths. Pro|E is generally tolerant of spaces in paths and folder names, but not 100% yet, unfortunately.

You could try to put quotes around the the path in your search_path line, but it's preferable to eliminate the spaces all together.

If you have your 'start in' field for the Pro|E short cut set for D:\SYNCHRO PC\CAD\PRO E, it should read the config files (config.pro and config.win) automatically, The color map and search path files are not read automatically, there's a confi option for each to define the full path to the file. (pro_colormap_path and search_path_file respectively)

Thanks for your reply, dgs

I had removed the spaces in the name. It's the same !
But I do not think it's a problem as, once I have clicked on the mapkey I had created, the search path works fine.

I have also set the parameter in the confi.pro file :
search_path_file D:\SYNCHRO PC\CAD\PRO E

There's something I cannot understand...

The option 'search_path_file' should point to a file, not a folder. The file is a text file with multiple lines of the 'search_path' option, each pointing to a folder that you want to search.

Sorry, you're right

My config.pro option is :
search_path_file D:\SYNCHRO PC\CAD\PRO E\search.pro

I'm loosing hope to find the answer...
But it's not a great deal, as the mapkey can get round the problem.

However, thanks for your help, Doug

You still have spaces, use quotes around it:

search_path_file "D:\SYNCHRO PC\CAD\PRO E\search.pro"

You need to do the same for each search_path entry in search.pro

I have another little question

As I explained previously, my problem is that it seems proE does not read the search path.
To get round this, I created a mapkey that make ProE read the search path file.
And it works fine !

So, my question is simple : When I start ProE, is it possible to make it run my mapkey automatically ? And how ?
Any ideas ?

Thanks for help

I'm interested in knowing what you mean by "read the search path". The search paths are simply places that Pro|E will look for models when trying to retrieve an assy or drawing or any other situation where files are interrelated. They are not 'read' at startup, only 'set'.

As far as running a mapkey automatically, you can do that with a trail file. Launch Pro|E and then immediately run your mapkey, do thing else. Leave Pro|E running. Then, go to the directory where your trail files are written and grab the one for the session of Pro|E (the newest one) and make a copy of it. Save it with a new name (Pro|E won't read 'trail.txt') in a location accessable when Pro|E is launched and then change your Pro|E shoutcut to use the path to the trail file as a command line argument in the 'target' field, like this:

<path to proe executable> <path to trail file>

For example:

C:\proe\text\proe.bat c:\this\is\where\my\trail\file\is\startup.txt

Now when Pro|E is launched, the trail file will run executing your mapkey.

Hello Doug,

I do agree with you about the search path. My explanation are not very correct.
I apologize.
But keep in mind that english is not my mother language... That's it

Thank you for your tip. It now works fine (even with spaces in the name of dolders)

Great thanks

No worries, I figured either you misunderstood what search_path did or weren't expressing it well. Glad it's sorted out.

Hello Doug, about your advice to run a mapkey automatically when starting a new session...

I run Pro/E from Intralink so I'm not sure where the Pro/E shortcut is and I can't add the line to read the trail file.

Can this be done from Intralink or is there another way to run a mapkey automatically at the begining of each session??

Thanks a lot!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back