Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Multi-level Cables: Outer "jacket" in Pro

SpaceRouter9

Situation:

I've defined the often-baffling Multi-level Cable in RSD with the required 4-tier .csv file structure which includes the following .csv files:

1. Datatable for "top" Multi-level Cable
2. Datatable for the "sub-cables" which reside inside the Multi-level Cable. (This Datatable contains two Datasets: one for each sub-cable.)
3. Membermap file (which references the Datatable file for the sub-cables and the Datatable for the wire spool info)
4. Wire spool .csv file

FYI: My sub-cables are 2-wire twisted shielded pairs with a shield wire. So it is really a 3-wire sub-cable.

My Workflow:
1. I lay down 4 individual wires (fibers).
2. I collect two wires at a time and create a Cable (which uses the sub-cable's definition). I do this twice and end up with 2 Cables.
3. I add generate shield wires from the shield ports of the decorations and run them to different ports on my connector (a Variable Group).
4. I then collect my two 2-wire Cables and create a Multi-level Cable. The original Cables are now Sub-Cables of the Multi-level Cable.

FYI: No errors occur in RSD.

Importing the .xml into Pro/CABLE:
1. The importation works great. (Though the shield wires from decorations do not get created in 3-D due to insufficient entry info, I can live with that. However, I would eventually like to resolve that mystery, too, but not in this post.)
2. The Multi-level Cable is properly created and the Sub-Cables are appropriately named per the Multi-Cable Datatable/Membermap info.

The Problem:
Though the Multi-level Cable is properly created, it does not look as I would have expected.
I expected to see two Sub-Cables (each with a Thickness and each containing two Wires/Fibers) encased in the "jacket" of the Multi-Level Cable's Thickness.
What I get is just the Sub-Cables and their internal Wires. Though the Sub-Cables are properly named as Sub-Cable1 and Sub-Cable2 of the parent Multi-Level Cable, there is no overall 3-D "outer wrapper" to the Multi-Cable. The Sub-Cables look just like the other stand-alone 2-fiber Cables in my harness.

My Questions:
1. Are Multi-Level Cables even SUPPOSED to generate their "outer wrapper" per their defined Thickness?
2. If so, what am I failing to do to make that happen?

Thanks for your welcomed words of wisdom!

What I understand is you are trying to autoroute.

Bundles can't be autorouted.

In autorouting if you want to have wires or cables automatically wrapped by a bundle(or jacket) you should have that bundle definition first set up.

I mean

1)you need to have a sheath spool for that.

2)I am assuming you have already routed your network. But do not forget to check the box at the very bottom of Network Opts menu that says "Rt in Bndls". That is the key to have your wires.cables automatically wrapped by a sheath.

3)Dress your network up with bundles

Feature>Create>Bundle

Give it a name

Select the shielding spool

Select Along path option and Select twolocations of the network segment between which you want toplace your bundle.

Appllyall of your network segments where you you want to have a wrapper on your cables or wires before you start autorouting.

Then autoroute your xml file.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back