Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wire lengths vs dimension (ethical quest)

design-engine

Overall wire length vs connector body to connector body.

Manufacture is asking for specific dimensions to hold from connector body to connector body as apposed to wire lengths in a table.

The harness has one connector on one side and three on the other with heat shrink bundling everything together on one side. Imagine a pitch fork. The center part of the pitch fork would be the actual length. To show an overall length for the outside parts of the pitch fork would require to make a cheat on the dimension with a note or something that states (FINAL STREATCHED OUT LENGTH 220+/- 10mm) In my drawing however the length is not accurate because of how it

Hey Bart,

I got the same issue with harnesses that go from a mutli circuit connector on one end to individual terminal rings and/or fast-on terminals. what I've been doing is crating a dimension over writing the value and adding "linear length" below it.

Our suppliers and our inspection department work to IPC/WHMA -A-620. So we need to dimension harnesses as it specifies (connector extents).

Our suppliers also do not want and wire length or stip length tables. Did you ever come up with a method to show strip lengths?

later Jim

I dimensioned from a theatrical center (like where the nail would be). My project is rather small (big project with small dimensions) with wires between 26 AWG to 14 AWG so I just make my radius' small to minimize accuracy problems.

I find myslef playing catch up with the technicians by matching my cable lengths to both past revisions and mock-ups. The past revisions were molded incorrectly and Im simply trying to set some standards and share correct dimensioning standards. Its hard sometimes when they have been doing it a certain way for s long... plus to make a new revision look so much different from the original raises questions. I have to justify my new drawing scheme with responses from the forum, books, and my past experience.Thanks to BAE, CAT, NASA, General Atomics contractors and you guys I am creating a standard for moving forward.

Edited by: design-engine

There is a work around to get the wire lengths the "same" as the total length.
Lets say from your csys to end connector is 20mm. Then add 20mm as the strip length to make wire longer to get to "same" total length.

This is what we've done before for dimensioning.
Imagine a harness shaped like a Y. (rotated 90deg)

Create a dimension from the end of the connector to the intersection of the two legs, to create the horizontal dimension. Then create a dimension using intersect option and select two segment and change to entity and select end of any one of other connector.

This will then allow you to have a dimension to the intersection and one from the intersection to the next connector on the "center" of each segment/leg. The normally needs these dimension in any case for his board that he is working on. He can then just add the two value to get the total lengths. (hope the explanation made sense)

I modified a node of the network opps (and the other two wires in that bundle) in order to add a service loop to lengthen the wire in the cable harness assembly.The flat failed and left a couple suppressed nodes. Resume does not seam to bring back the nodes. Any chance I can save my flat harness drawing or do designers typically re-create the flat when managing failures?

I am in WF3.0 and the wires were all routed from RSD 7.0
Edited by: design-engine

Hi

When you designate a connector, Proe asks you to specify an internal length which you can find it on the specifications of the connector itself or measure yourself for that particular connector.

Once this is set and you want to get the length of the bundles either thru repeat region tables or thru Info/Cable/Length, Proe Will give a length value adding these internal lengths.

assume an A to B harness as a sample.

So considering the entry ports of the connectors being at the very back end of the connector if you measure thru modify/length/measure and select the locations you will get let say 100mm. But thru Info menu when you want to see the length of that bundle it will give you 130mm. Because you have already specified the internal lengths of these connectors as 10mm and 20mm. So Proe adds them up for you like 100+10+20=130mm.

I hope this helps.

Ali Akguner

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back