Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Can you save .JPGs in "perspective" view?

groesbec

I'm trying to do some screen shots for a presentation, but the presenter is very adimate about having them in different perspective views. After changing the perspective around, every time I try to "save as" is goes back to default view. Any ideas on how this can be done (taking a alt+print screen shot isvery lacking in image quality).

That's strange.... It doesn't do that on mine.

View remains at whatever orientaion and zoom level it is at.

Are you using a mapkey to do this and maybe there is something in the mapkey?

Have you tried File > Save a Copy?

BTW, I'm on WF2.

Charles

My machine does the same thing when I try and do a "Save As". But if you are inrender mode you can save a perspective jpg.

charleskim said:
That's strange.... It doesn't do that on mine.

View remains at whatever orientation and zoom level it is at.

Are you sure? Orientation and zoom remain, yes, but perspective (view -> model setup -> perspective)? This has been an issue with Pro|E for as log as I can remember and if you don't have it I'd love to know how you accomplished it.

What you need to do is the perceptive dance:
  1. Open the view manager and leave it open. You need to do this first because simply opening the view manager will kick you out of persspective too.
    smiley7.gif
  2. Orient your model and apply the perspective. Now, go to your view manager and save your view. The perspective setting will be saved as well. Do not close the view manager!
  3. Select file -> save as. Pro|E kicks you out of perspective. Leave the save as dialog open.
  4. Go back to the view manager and apply your saved view.
  5. Go back to the save as dialog and save your JPEG.
Fun eh?

Why don't you use a better screen capturing tool like snagit from Techsmith.com.

This grab anything off the desktop or any application. This will change how you do viewgraph engineering

I couldn't get SnagIt to let me save as a JPEG. Maybe I'm just not smart enough, but it wouldn't do it. I didn't find it a better tool, but that's just me.

Doug,

This tools saves in almost every conceivable option. In the Save As Preview, just hit the SAVE AS option and pick you choice: BMP, JPG, GIF, PNG etc....

You can also create a profile to save to clipboard or file. This is an extremely useful tool for screen captures.

Per Doug's instructions, I must be doing something wrong because if I leave the view manager open, the "save a copy" option is greyed out as well as save etc etc. If I do the "save a copy" first then open view manager and apply the perspectiveview, it still won't let me save - it would be nice to be able to do this.....

Hmmm, maybe I've got the steps out of order. One thing to keep in mind is that once you open the save as box, when you go to the view manager the save as box drops behind the main Pro|E window. I grad the save as box off to the right so I can still see it when it goes behind the Pro|E window.

Sounds like I need to give Snag It a try again. I don't have it on my system anymore though.

Doug,

As you mentioned, the save as box was behind the main window. Once the perspective view is created it is onlytwo extra steps to create the perspective jpeg:

1.File=>save as=>set to jpeg

2. Open view manager and set to perspective view

3. Close view manager

4. Save jpeg

Thanks

Steve

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back