Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

PTC Should Publish A Comprehensive Manual

fiebigc

I wish PTC would publish a comprehensive manual(s) on all of the software applications. I very rarely find the help file useful, it discusses a topic with an almost arrogant brevity. PTC should publish a manual that could be sold for a reasonable price that clearly explains how to do things and examples implementing them.

Example:

Does PTC do anything to try and inform people about the config.pro file settings? To find this information you either have to ask a question on this forum or find a website that someone so graciously published this information.

Actually there is a document named 25921en_file1.pdf with the title of Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 2.0 Configuration Options, where all the config.pro options are described for that and older versions.

I'm not sure whether WF3 version of that manual is available, but you could try to search the ptc.com for it.

Otherwise, I agree with you that PTC is missing good manuals other than that you get on training courses.

skraba said:
Otherwise, I agree with you that PTC is missing good manuals other than that you get on training courses.

And the courses are expensive. I'm shure ptc is "hiding" the information on purpose, bits and pieces scatteredaround,so that thy can sell more courses!

smiley11.gif

If you have support, you should search the Knowledge Base, specifically Reference Documents for Wildfire Topics Collections (at least that's what they were called for WF2).

The Topic Collections were a zipped collection of PDF files covering virtually all aspects of Pro/E Wildfire and were essentially the 'soft' versions of their old printed manuals. Yes, for those who came to Pro/E later than Release 18(I think), they did (in the past) issue a complete set of printed manuals according to the functionality you had in your license pack, but I think it got too expensive to keep printing them, and with the Web it become more suited to the modern way of working to have it on the Internet. What they forgot to tell you, was how to get to it!!
smiley5.gif

Edited by: n.f.thomas

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back