Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

large assembly

streamm

hi
my assembly is over then 1000 compnents, i find dificulty to manage it because it contains instances and generics from family table.
is there some way to manage all this??
what about advanced assembly? can this help to manage heavy assembly?
thanks

Edited by: streamm

What do you mean "manage"?

1K part instanceassemblies are "lite". You don't need AAX for that. Investigate Simp Reps, Envelope parts, etc.Between tutorials floating around and Help youshould be able to get a handle on it. Search a bit.

ZONES are also useful. Viewmanager ...Xsec...new... zones...

Further, Simplified representations like whether Geometry, Graphic etc also eases management.

You should take advantage of instance accelerator files. It prevents the instaces from being regenerated and verified everytime you open the assembly. Not sure if you need AAX to do that or if it's just a standard package.

Simplified Reps should be the first step.

Sub assembles with a skeleton part "Not the pro/E skeleton just a part
with geometry to relate the subs". is a good way to isolate the parts you
are working with.

Drawing with Pro/E boms are good also.

1000 is lite but not if there all complex 300+ feature surface models.

You can also use the model display setting to speed things up.

streamm said:
hi
my assembly is over then 1000 compnents, i find dificulty to manage it because it contains instances and generics from family table.
is there some way to manage all this??
what about advanced assembly? can this help to manage heavy assembly?
thanks

What do you mean by "difficult"?

It's a given difficulty when you use family table. There's no way to minimize the use of that.

difficult means that the assembly take time for regenerating and it's slow when rotating him by the mouse.

streamm said:
difficult means that the assembly take time for regenerating and it's slow when rotating him by the mouse.

Do you have 4Gb Ram and 512Mb OpenGL graphic card in your workstation?
Do you have threaded holes and threaded bolts?
You need to create sub-assemblies so you can hide them quickly, rather than hiding a lot more parts.

slow when rotating try View>view performance> change frame rate and level of detail.

How long to regen? 10sec-5min. do you have lots of copy geometry relations family tables? How much ram do you have and how much is at use.

You should really have a minimum of 2GB of Ram.
I'm guessing you have 2x512MB with two open slots. You could get two more stick of 512 and see how it works, but I would recommend 2X1GB then you will have room to add 2 more GB's

streamm said:

You need to use Simplified Rep if you don't want to upgrade your hardwares. I don't think anyone else can disagree.

trillicomm,

the speed of disk is not as important as is the size of RAM, CPU and graphic card, since the models are loaded first into RAM and when full, Pro/E will use Windows swap file. Then the disks come into play.

So, first use the large assembly management possibilities Pro/E is offering (simpreps, drawing reps,...), then use the Windows limitation (2GB of RAM or even better 4GB with Windows /3GB switch enabled) and then look for other hardware improvements.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back