Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Placing Picture in 3D annotations

NoyPi Lang

I would like to ask if anyone knows the solution to my problem regarding ProINTRALINK 3.4 and ProE 3.0.. I need to attached a picture inmy 3D annotations and checkin my file in ProINTRALINK commonspace. The file that I attached on the 3D annotation must be open by another user whenever they checkout the file in ProINTRALINK commonspace and transfer it on their set ProINTRALINK workspace.

I try to add a picture in my 3D annotaion using hyperlink. But I notice when I open my 3D design in another computer unit the picture won't show... This is because it follow only the path that I set..

My Idea is whenever I check in my files in ProINTRALINK commonspace.. The picture linked in my annotation must also be transferred in ProINTRALINK commonspace.. So when another user checkout my file in ProINTRALINK. then can still assess the picture that was linked in my annotation

Hoping any good solution and advise to anyone, thanks

I just tried this and it worked. You can import a .jpg file into your workspace. Then youcanattach it to an assembly. To do that you will have to attach it through Intralink. Highlight the assembly in intralink then click on "Object" then click on "Modify Relationships". In the next pop-up window there is a list of "Objects". Find the .jpg file you want to include. Highlight it. Then change the "Relationship Types" frame to "User Defined". Then click on the ">>" button to put it in the "Relationship Tree".

Then click the "OK" button. This should create a relationship between your assembly and the .jpg file. After defining all the necessary attributes for the .jpg file itwill be included in the checkin when you check the assembly in.

(We use Wildfire 2 and intralink 3.4)

Hope this helps.

SrGilberto

Thanks for the info,

I try your suggestion and it created a relationship between my assembly and .jpg file. But when I try to checkout the assembly file and open it in ProE, I cannot see the .jpg file on Model tree.

How can I view in ProE the .jpg file that I attached?

Thanks

I don't think that creating a relationship between your files in intralink will cause it to show up in the Pro/e model tree. What it does is cause the file to be retrieved when you check out it's parent assembly. That way the .jpg file will be retrieved to anyone's workspace whenever they check out the assembly. I have not tried to call up (display)the .jpgpicture using a hyperlink in a notation, but at least the .jpg file will be present and available in the workspace (which I thought was what you weretrying to acheive).

SrGilberto

I was able to bring up the picture by clicking on the hyperlink text. However, the picture had to be on one of my drives. I was able to successfully specify the location and name of the picture and when I did "cntl+click" on the link the picture displayed.

Problem is that I was not able to display a picture that was in my workspace, only pictures specified on a drive.

If you can figure out a way to successfully specify the locationin your workspace you'll have solved the problem.

Regards,

SrGilberto

Actually, our current set up here in our company is Design Engineers are located in A country and Factory Engineers are located in B country. There are some cases in design that are difficult to show in 3D, (Like adhesive application in some area of the unit), that is why design engineers take pictures of those location and send it thru Email, but our idea is that Factory Engineer must minimize opening lots of files and application to avoid mistakes.. That is why when I test the annontation using its hyperlink it display the picture that I path on my local drive... But the problem is when the 3D design is checkin thru intralink and Factory Engineer will checkout the file.. the jpg file won't display because it follows the path that I set in my local drive.. which is not the case on their own local drive... my idea is if I can Path why file in proI commonspace would be much better.. it that possible??

Thanks again

That's an excellent idea, but you will have to be able to specify the drive letter and folder path to the files in commonspace for the hyperlink text. If you were able to view it directly from the commonspace path you would'nt even have to have the .jpg fileattached to the assembly.

I'd like to know if you figure that out. Please keep me posted.

Regards,

SrGilberto

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back