Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

The use of Skeleton Models

78finn

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to Pro E when it comes to advanced assemblys etc...and have started a new job where I am working on models/assemblies that often exseed 50 parts etc.

So far I'm getting away with simple refeernecing etc, but I have heard the use of "Skeleton" models is a key feature for many a Pro Engineer user!?

I'm very new to this area, so I was wondering if anyone had any good rescourse for this area - tutorials, good web sites etc that could introduce me to the the theries and process in vovled with this type of assembly/refferencing set up.

Any help you could be would be very much appreciated.

Cheers then,

Michael

There's a pretty good basic tutorial on skeleton usage on the ptc.com knowledge base using a chair. Search for 'chair top down design' or 'chair skeleton' and you should find it.

Main advantage of skeleton is when you have really large assemblies (100 parts is not large ...) and/or you work with different people on one project.

Reasonable sized assemblies can be easily managed by making a smart use of subassemblies, in fact making a virtual product instead of one big container of parts.

The Main advantage of investing the time up front and using skeletons is that you will totally avoid circular reference errors, because what the skeleton is is a central database of references for the assembly.

Down the road, when you want to make some major changes, you will spend much less time ( ideally no time) fixing references.

I believe that this process is unique to Pro-E.

I use skeletons on every assembly I build, 2 parts to hundreds. The advantages are managing design intent and references.

I just completed a new assembly of half a dozen components. Several fairly complicated plastic parts, a folding membrane keypad and a sheetmetal base. It was a new, smaller version of a skeleton drivenassy I had done for this client a year ago. Because of the skeleton (and I was intimately familiar with he models), I completed the work 6 weeks early.

No way I would have been early without the skeleton.

78finn said:
So far I'm getting away with simple refeernecing etc, but I have heard the use of "Skeleton" models is a key feature for many a Pro Engineer user!?
To use skeleton models you should have a seat of AAX. To know whether you have one....Try to create a new Layout... If you can, you have. If not follow the work around...

Create 2D sketch in assembly to represent your concept. Create Datum planes in assembly with reference to the sketch....

The above is a general guideline and will depend on your design.

Don't forget another advantage (by design) is that Skeleton files do not show up in your BOM. Very handy place to have reference information from othe files!!!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back