Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Settings for Nvidia Quadro NVS 110M

oliwally

Hi,

I'm running Pro E Wildfire 3.0 on a Dell Latitude D820 with 1 gig ram, Centrino Duo 1.83 Processor and an Nvidia Quadro NVS 110M GForce GO 7300 graphics card.

When using the realtime rendering I've noticed that rotating the model is less than silky smooth at best, and sometimes annoyingly slow when at it's at worst.

Currently I have it set (in the Options menu) to graphics - opengl*

Could anyone tell me please how to configure ProE so it works well with my laptop? I'm assuming I can get better performance - I've seen ProE run better on computers with lower specs!

Does anyone have any wisdom to share please?

But why use realtime rendering?
When you work with ProE, use normal views; shade, hidden, wiremrame, realtime rendering is only to view how would you render look, when you doing rendering.

Now I see, that you have 2 graphic crads? one on board, and Quadro. It is possible that default is this on board graphic card, and because that you have slower performance...

I see your point - realtime rendering is not that useful. However, I would love to know if I can configure ProE to make it look smooth with my hardware, especially because I know it's possible on 'slower' computers than mine. I'm just curious and I delight in a bit of eyecandy.

The graphics card is definitely just the Nvidia Quadro NVS 110M (it's what ships with this Dell Laptop) and I believe the GForce GO 7300 is the chipset. That's dx.exe told me anyway. I'm also quite certain it's a dedicated graphics card, not onboard graphics.

Are there any other settings that I can adjust and/or try? Would love any suggestions please.

Ok my mistake about second graphic card.

Now about performances. So if I understand you correctly, you have problem while spinning and rotating your models, regarding of use realtime rendering or not. Does this happens on any model, or only on big one?

If you open big assembly, with a lot of complex parts, then you will always have problem with spinning and rotating. But if this happens on simple model, then there is something wrong.

For big asm, you can use various config options that will allow you to smoothly manipulate with your asm, but quality of display will reduce dramatically.

For regular parts and asm, also it is diferent if you spining in wireframe or shade view. Shade view is the fastest of all to use.

I assume that you have simple models, and you still having problem with smooth spinning and rotating.
Problems could be:
1. graphic card driver - download and install latest drivers (but remember to create system restore point, in case if driver instalation mess up)
2. for Nvidia Quadro card, you can set setting for Pro/E in Nvidia Settings > Application Settings > Pro/Engineer WildFire

Additional, you can test your notebook, by downloading Pro/E benchmark, and then compare your results with similar cmputers.
Also with result you will see which of your components is slowest (the CPU, Graphic card, or HDD).

Here is link to download benchmark:
http://www.proesite.com/index.html

Thanks for helping out Isair.

Yes, the problem I've reported is on very simple models (extruded rectangle), not assemblies.

I have not been able to find any option in any of the Nvidia settings to specify Pro E.

The ProE benchmarking tool looks interesting but I haven't tried it yet. I'll post back to report how it went.

This probably isn't your problem, but 1GB is not enough to run Pro/E. You need at least twice that much. Yes, Pro/E is The King of Memory Hogs: get used to it. But if core and video memory are shared, it might be your problem after all. I'm not familiar with your laptop's architecture, but some laptops do this. There may also be a BIOS setting that can be tweaked: talk to Dell.

@oliwally

Look at my screenshoot where you can chose ProE:

@Mindripper
Why 1Gb memory wouldn't be enough for simple models? in this case one extrude?
As I stated before, Win Xp Pro supports only 2Gb memory, and for moderate modeling with ProE, 1Gb memory is enough. Of course the more memory you have you can work easily with bigger asm, and complex models.

Also memory doesn't affect on spinning and rotating model, this is graphic card issue in general.

Mindripper:

Thanks for chipping in some thoughts.

I have ProE running on our school computers with 1gig ram and 128Mb dedicated video (ATI I think). Rotating a model in realtime rendering is silky smooth on these computers.
My Dell laptop has higher specs that that - bigger video card (also dedicated) and centrino duo processor. Strange....

Isair:

Thanks for the screenshot. My menu looks almost identical but it turns out I just simply don't have that Application Settings option. I've installed the latest drivers - still no change.

Any other ideas perhaps?

Edited by: oliwally

NVS 110M is a weak card but should do fine for light work. Note the NVS are not for MCAD. Looking at Nvidia site this card supports open GL 2.1 so you should be able to run with it but you will not get smooth rotation or zooming.
Try View>Model Display adjusting edge line to High and Shade to 8..

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back