Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

SpaceNavigator help

Rbrgr83

I just got a 3dconnextion SpaceNav mouse (or whatever it is supposed to be callled) for use with ProE. But I think it may be causing some system problems.

First off, it seems to employ some method of rapid screen refreshing. This is causing a problem because when I am trying to select features in my model, the screen is redrawing almost instantly and I cannot tell what I am highlighting. This makes things like right-clicking through surfaces next to impossible.

I also appears to be causing a larger problem in the program. On more than one occasion, ProE has locked up as though it is busy. It's even done so while I have nothing open at the time. Upon further observatin, this appreas to be happening only in the drawing mode. As an added bonus, I can use the new mouse in drawing mode (when it isn't frozen), but my regular mouse doesnt work so I cannot select anything. For the time being, I am simply shutting it down when I enter drawing mode.

I'm loving this 3d mouse business, but the issues I am having with it are enough for me to stop using it if I cannot resolve them. Anyone knows what is happening, let me know.

Thanks
Edited by: Rbrgr83

When everything is locked up is your hand resting on the puck? I'm useing a Space Pilot and had to reset the dead zone so that when my fingertips are resting on the puck it's not sending any messages to the computer. With the factory settings you may not be moving anything on the screen but even fingertip pressure is enough force to send a message to the computer and then "lock up" the system.

I no longer have any trouble with my system "locking up", and I REALLY like the Space Pilot.

Nope, this isn't the problem. One of the times it locked up, I walked away for 5 min and it was still locked up when I came back.

I think I might have this one temporarity solved. As long as I don't use it after I start up a drawing, my standard mouse functionality remains intact. As soon and I scroll aroundwith it I cannot use the regular mouse any more (and a lockup is usualy not far behind.)

While I may have solved that problem, I stumbled upon another. From time to time I will use the function button on the device (which can be set to a variety of different commands, I was using it to return to standard view in the model) and it will crash out of ProE. This was a bug that was suppoed to be fixed in the current version of the drivers. Guess not.

I've been playing in Google Earth with this thing, and I have to say that it really helps to get the movements down.
Other than causing fatal errors in ProE, I'm still loving this thing.

Have you tried the forums over at 3dconnection? That's where I was able to find the information I needed to get the device working right.

i will have to check that out, thanks.

I feel really salty right now becuase your previous suggestion was actualy the cause of the first problem I mentioned. As long as I let go of the knob when I select things, then it works normaly. I guess it's just sensitive enought to detect when I am resting my hand on it (or barely touching itfor that matter). Thanks for that one too.

And I've also succeded in not crashing ProE since my last post! That has to be a good sign.

At least you were able to figure out what was causing the trouble. :)

If you search for dead zone on the 3dConnection site you should be able to find the instructions for decreasing the sensitivity. If not let me know and I'll see if I can dig up my printed instructions.

I'm not seeing it on their site. If you still have yours that would be fantastical. Thanks
smiley4.gif

Here's what I found:

Type REGEDIT from the RUN command on the Windows start button.

Create a String Value called DeadBand in:
HKCU/Software/3Dconnexion/3DxWare

Set the value to some number > 0 to cut off low valued data from the device. I'd start with 100 and see if that eliminates the movement you want to remove.

Mine is actually set to 40 but, use what ever value works best for you.

Good Luck!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back