Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

copying paramters

gking

Is there a way to give assign multiple parts with the same parmaters without having to edit each part individually, can they be copied from one part to an other?

Thanks

Never tried to copy parameters from one part to another, don't think it's possible in WF2.

But what I have for such situations is a mapkey. I have a few parameters that I need to have in every part so when I get a part that doesn't have them, I run the mapkey and the parameters are added to the part.

What you should do isrecord a mapkey of adding all the parameters to the first part and then just open every part and run the mapkey. You can even put the save in the mapkey so you only need to open and close the parts.

tools/ mapkeys/ new

give a key sequence like "as" or something.

give it a name, adescription

then hit record

then go to tools / parameters and add all the parameters you need.

after you're done hit "stop" to stop recording

then click on save (on the mapkey window)to save the mapkey to your config.

then open each part and hit "as" and it will add the parameters.

this will work only if you don't have those parameters in parts.

if you do have some of the parameters already setup and you need to add one more then the mapkey won't work. Because the mapkey will try to add the same parameters and will give you an message "the param already exists"...

in this case you could write a mapkey which deletes that parameter and execute it first. Then you apply the mapkey which creates your parameter with a given value.
If you have many files, you could use Spekan Batch or Pro/Batch.
ReinhardN

ReinhardN said:
in this case you could write a mapkey which deletes that parameter and execute it first. Then you apply the mapkey which creates your parameter with a given value.
If you have many files, you could use Spekan Batch or Pro/Batch.
ReinhardN

Delete parameters by mapkey in WF2 is not working at least not for meor it's not working always.I know I tried once and it deletes the parameter but only if there are the same number of parameters in the list and if the parameter is in the same position. Otherwise the delete mapkey doesn't do anything.....

I know this worked in 2001 don't know why in WF2 is not working anymore.

why in WF2 is not working anymore

ptc changed the syntax onlists when they did away with" pick by menu"...
smiley7.gif

it deletes the parameter but only if there are the same number of parameters in the list and if the parameter is in the same position.

Sweet huh??
smiley5.gif

gking...use can save as a text file what parameters are common and load that thru relations then delete the relations and they will remain as parameters...easier than entering in the parameter UI..... which brings up the point....WHY IS THERE ONLY EXPORT PARAMETERS??

wsylvester said:
why in WF2 is not working anymore

ptc changed the syntax onlists when they did away with" pick by menu"...
smiley7.gif

it deletes the parameter but only if there are the same number of parameters in the list and if the parameter is in the same position.

Sweet huh??
smiley5.gif

gking...use can save as a text file what parameters are common and load that thru relations then delete the relations and they will remain as parameters...easier than entering in the parameter UI..... which brings up the point....WHY IS THERE ONLY EXPORT PARAMETERS??

Thanks, I agree it is frustrating that there is no import parameters option. :(

Can you explain how to import the txt file to relations and then use as parmaters?
Edited by: gking

i found this article [url]http://manufacturing.cadalyst.com/manufacturing/article/arti cleDetail.jsp?id=397547[/url]

Are there easier ways to update parameter values?
Why, yes -- of course! The easiest way to update the parameters of an assembly and its components is to take advantage of advanced functionality within the Model Tree. Choose (from the Model Tree menu) Settings / Tree Columns and change the Type pop-up menu to the Model Params menu.

0107trench-6.jpg

Update the parameters of an assembly in the Model Trees Columns dialog box.

Then, move the desired model parameters from the Not Displayed to the Displayed column using the >> button, as shown below.

I prefer to remove all of the existing columns with the << button in order to simplify the display.

0107trench-7.jpg

Use the >> button to move the desired model parameters from Not Displayed to the Displayed column.

0107trench-8.jpg

Once you add the parameters to the assembly Model Tree display, your Wildfire display should appear much like this.

To update a component's parameter, simply click on its row and column in the Model Tree and type in the corrected value. If the parameter doesn't already exist in the Wildfire database, the Parameter Properties dialog box (discussed previously) displays, as shown below.

0107trench-9.jpg

If the Parameter doesn't exist, the Parameter Properties dialog box appears.

It's now a simple matter to update the parameter values for each component. Once you're finished, regenerate the assembly and be sure to save the assembly database!

It's important to remember that when you change parameters in this fashion, you have modified the Wildfire database of the touched object. For example, if you modify the PART_REV parameter of WIDGET.PRT while working on its parent assembly, the widget's part database is modified. This means that if you do not save this object, you will lose these changes. To avoid this, always save the top-level object database -- the assembly or drawing -- after updating model parameters. This forces any associated modified databases to be saved.

Can I store the Model Tree Parameter settings for future use?
Yes -- you can save the model tree display configuration into a format that lets you retrieve it in the future. Choose Settings / Save Settings File from the Model Tree menu.

0107trench-10.jpg

Store the model tree parameter for future use by choosing Settings / Save Settings File.

This saves the current configuration of the Model Tree into a file with a ".cfg" suffix. Ask your Wildfire system administrator to put this file in a location where the design team can easily access it in the future.

Now, you may easily update the model parameters of your assembly anytime by using the following procedure:

1. Open the top-level assembly in Wildfire.
    Load your saved model tree parameter configuration file by choosing Settings / Open Settings File from the Model Tree menu.
    Modify the desired parameters.
    Save the top-level assembly file.

If you want to get really fancy, you can define a Mapkey with an associated user-interface icon that lets you perform this function with one click. (Well, perhaps two or three clicks may be required, but hey -- consider the alternative!)

If you set relations for a parameter and it exists the value will be modified. If they don't exist they will be created.

PARAMETER_NAME="J-01 is Proe2001"

The quotes make the value a string but if you gave a number value it would be an integer or real value.

Michael

but if you gave a number value it would be an integer or real value

if you read in thru rel editor then it' a real... they don't go across as integer...

pretty sure anyway :
smiley1.gif

but supports yes/no

<tools><relations>

in relations dialogue box:

<file><import>

(find text file)

<verify button>

(highlight all the relations box )

<delete>(kybrd)

<verify button>

<OK>

Similarly if it's just you on your own install, why not use config.pro to use another location for the standard file new, and have those already set up for the new parameters?

(from config.pro, stored in c:\proePath\TEXT\ etc.)

system_colors_file C:\proePath\mytemplates\blueblend.scl
template_designasm C:\proePath\mytemplates\mmns_asm_design.asm
template_solidpart C:\proePath\mytemplates\mmns_part_solid.prt

-AS

I think the relations and parameter editors actually switch between integer and real automatically depending on context, either way I've driven lots of patterns (integer occurances) with numbers using ceil or floor in Relations and it's never had a problem.

If it's the superfluous zerols you want to kill off, just put a [.0] at the end of the parameter on your drawing text reference, e.g.

parameter:

numero = 10.00000

then in the drafting file:

&numero:3[.0]

displays a "10"

or

&numero:3[.2]

displays a "10.00"

similarly

numero = 10.12312454

then in the drafting file:

&numero:3[.0]

displays a "10"

DOES ANYONE ELSE FEEL THERE SHOULD BE A SUB-FORUM FOR PARAMETERS, RELATIONS and TRAIL FILES?

-AS

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back