Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

ExtMerge; merging assembly within part

farmpro

I use wildfire 2. following is the problem:
is it possible to ext merge an assembly into part?

background: i've a layout part from which many other parts are derived by extcopygeom, now there is design change and an assembly need to be merged into this layout part, is there any way to do so? pro/e will only let me extmerge a part into part & not assembly into part.

i know i can copy geom and pick all surfaces/curves/edges of assembly into layout part, but that is i think not as robust as ext merge, as ext merge is complete model, rather than specific surfaces/curves/edges/datums etc. which pro/e fails sometimes if ids fail.

any help appreciated.

Hi Farmpro,

You can merger all the parts of the assembly into the part. If want to break the link between the parts and the new merged part pick copy instead of reference. But to really break the link you should measure the distances between main part and the parts to be merged using the transform tool, save each info window as 1.trf, 2.trf and mark down with part corresponds to each. Then create a new dummy assembly, assemble the first part (everything that is going to merged to) then create new coordinates systems using the saved .trf files based off the CS0 of the main part not the assembly. Now assemble all the parts to each .trf file that created them. Now do a merge on all parts and choose copy, no datums. Some times you may have to move a datum, CS0 up or down in the model tree to correct.

Jeff Toff

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back