Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

smartest way to insert fasteners

ronfya

Hello all,

What is the smartest way to insert fasteners in ProE ?
Creating holes with patterns is a good thing but you cannot always do what you want. (Or I don't know how to use patterns efficiently).

What is for you the smartest way to work with fasteners ?

Is there a method to fill in a row a certain amount of holes created with a simple cut extrusion or with the hole tool ?

Patterning is certainly the best way, for inserting in a patterned hole. Where you do not know the pattern of hole placement, the repeat command is the next best.

You canmake groups of washer and screw and then pattern that group to all holes. Of course they all we'll be reference pattern like Israr said, but in order to do that you must start from part level. Make all your holes pattern if possible, then you can use them as reference pattern in assembly.

If you don't have patterns then repeat works fast.

I hate to ask, but how do you do a repeat? I can see the menu pick in my assembly, but it is grayed out.

Thanks

in assembly select a part, then go to edit / repeat. You can select repeat command only for components that are assembled with constaints. For those that are assembled default the repeat command is grayed out.

So after you click repeat a window with the assembly constaints for that part will show :

View attachment 3647

Select them in the window, and click add, then each constraint, one by one,will be highlighted in PRO_E window, and you have to select another for the new placement. In my case I have one mate and 2 allign's. After I select all three new placements, the new part will apear in "place component" field, and I can repeat the process.

In a single repeat command you can place multiple parts. After that click confirm and they will be assembled.

Cool. I have been using the Paste Special command with advanced config and it works okay, but this may be easier.

Thanks again,

Jim

Cool. I have been using the Paste Special command with advanced config and it works okay, but this may be easier.

Thanks again,
Jim

what is this advanced config? can you explain

sanjeevkar1 said:
what is this advanced config? can you explain
This is not related to a config parameter. It is part of Proe command and as detailed by vlad can be found under edit>repeat. You can also RIGHT click on a model in the MODEL TREE to get the Repeat command. Essentially it repeats the assembly sequence with multiple inserts for variables. Consider that you need to assemble a fastener or a fastener assembly in a hole. The mating plane would remain the same only the axis varies. ADD the VARIABLES, and go about clicking the various axis to assemble the same.

You should also try COMPONENT INTERFACE for Drag & Drop Assembly.

I have found that Component Interface works very well in general. For example when i create a family table for bolts;I add the component interface for the shaft of the bolt and the underside of the bolt head. That way when I assemble them with out aholepattern I only have to click on the inside of the hole and the top surface to mate the component interface.

I meant "Advanced Reference" (I think that is what it says). It
shows all of the references used on a previous component or feature and
allows you to pick new ones.

Also, as for using component interfaces, one caveat. If you are
using AAX to automate selection of parts, and are using Interchange
assemblies, then be sure that every part in the interchange has the
same component interface. If not, you will have trouble swapping
parts. Even if both parts are in the same interchange assy.

Jim

Well, don't feel too strange - I'm wondering how to use a reference pattern
smiley5.gif
. I've been following along in this thread, and I can use the repeat function to insert a part multiple times, but I'd like to be able to fill an entire hole pattern at once.

How do I create and utilize a reference pattern in order to use the comp interface function and fill in my hole pattern?

Verge,

When it doesn't fill the pattern for me ithas always beenbecause the part that I am adding is not being placed in the original hole for the pattern.

Well, the funny part is that I thought I had more steps to take, and I didn't. I simply had to push the button to accept the reference pattern. I actually took the time to consult the "help" on this issue.

Sometimes I'm so busy with other things that I don't have time to resolve these issues myself, so I simply rely on the charity of my fellow forum users!

Thanks for the reminder, though.
smiley2.gif

I love that grouping technique, by the way, Vlad. Heck, I can start taking longer lunches now with all the time I'll save with this interface concept, too. I'll think I'll go home right now, why not?
smiley36.gif

One draw back of the screwspattern is that you can't restructure it.

We are curently restructuring some assemblies and put the screws at a higher level. So naturally I tried the restructure command, and it all works fine until I have a pattern. The restructure command doesn't see patterns. So I delete the pattern and manually put the screws in this case.

But other then that pattern works great.

PS: yet another way of "smart way of inserting fasteners" you can try restructure (edit/restructure , works for any part not just screws...)if you need to move screws from a child to a parrent assy.
smiley2.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back