Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Better Pattern Functionality is needed.

mjcole_ptc

Although Pro/E's pattern functionality is great there have been a lot of missing options that I would love to see.

1.)Select Pattern Type for each direction
Allow use of more than one type of pattern (Direction, Dimension)within the same feature. For instance if you had a hole aligned to a datum forreference 1 and offset from another datum as reference 2, allow me to pattern by Dimensionin the first direction and by Direction in the second direction.

2.) Fill Patterns
Make an actual difference between a the Square fill pattern and the Diamond fill pattern, don't just add a 45degree offset. I guess some of the product definition people either slept through geometry class or slept during their working hours.
smiley36.gif

Squares have equal length sides and have right angles in the corners. Diamonds on the other hand can have varying angles between adjacent edges, so why not allow the user to specify two different spacings between features like a Xradius and Yradius are used for ellipses. If they changed the Square pattern into a Rectangular pattern and had an actual diamond pattern with two spacing values I'd be happier.
Right now to get what I want I have to get pretty good at clicking the little pattern dots.

Also they should make fill patterns available for surface features which they are currently not available. If I'm creating a sketch for the fill why does it require it to be a solid feature to create this type of pattern?

3.) Allow reference patterns in two directions.
Say you have a hole that references two planes that are each patterned, when you reference pattern the feature it should be allowed to follow the first reference plane pattern in the first direction and the other plane's pattern in the second direction.
Or like I said in item one it should be able to be reference patterned in the first direction and direction patterned in the second.

4.) Show preview dots for reference patterns, so you can choose if you don't want to place a component or feature in a specific location just like you can with regular patterns.

5.) Pattern in three directions or pattern of a pattern, I hear this is in the works.
XXX XXX XXX
XXX XXX XXX
XXX XXX XXX

Michael

Edited by: mjcole_ptc

Michael,

Good post, a lot of good ideas there. I've heard that 5) is in the pipeline, but also heard that another 3D has some sort of patent that PTC are finding hard to get over (not sure of the truth of that one, just what I have heard)

Often wondered why 4) isn't there, seems a logical step to me.

Other pattern ideas that I have

a/ Being able to (easily)copy and paste data from one pattern table to another. I had a post about this one a while ago but the solution was very fiddley.

[url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33 389&KW=pattern+table[/url]

b/ Something I'd like to see would be a way of combining patterning and fastener assembly. I'd love to be able to have one pattern that defines all the holes on a plate, and then in assembly be able to ref pattern assemble fasteners to a specific hole size. I've often wondered if there is a way of using the interface tool to do this.

Kev

Good point....except where I am is presently 'testing' the compatability of WF3 with its PLM system, so by the time that is done WF4 will be released, and I'd expect that there is no chance that they will go thru the same procedure again until WF5

Kev

prohammy- for pattern a pattern

In WF1 try making a pattern, putting that pattern in a group by itself, then patterning the group. You can trick it in letting you pattern a pattern (this is how you do it in WF2)

in 3 you can directly pattern a pattern feature

Cheers Susie,

I have done that before, but I find that the regen time goes through the roof.....which in the end drives me mad and at that point I end up giving up

Kev

Regen seems to go through the roof a lot of the time. I usually end up trying to pattern a feature different ways until Pro/E doesn't take overnight to finish it, Although sometimes I've tried that and it seems to work.

Pro/E hates big patterns and big sketches so I often find myself coming up with 5 different ways of doing the same pattern. The pattern I'm currently doing is for 144 holes done with 3X4 sketch of 12 holes patterned with 7 Instances and a 2X3 moved copy of 6 of those holes to fill in the spaces, patterned with 10 Instances.

Giving me a 84 hole pattern and a 60 hole pattern.

Problem is with WF2 and possibly other versions Pro/E will display the message.
Pattern creation successful.
Features mirrored successfully.

Before it has succesfully done either. It's kind of like when you used to tell your Mom you had already finished all your homework before going out to play.

I find that Pattern Tables offer the best control for patterns that don't have to abide by various Pro/E limitations.

Michael
smiley7.gif

My Wish List

A pattern based on a skecth of points would be nice. Easy free form creation withmultiple references origins (Sketch references). Can be copied to new locations and other components easily. You should not be restricted by an algorithm, an increment, axis or a few direction references.

Itwould belike a Table pattern but each instance can have it's own locational references. Instead of filling out a spread sheet, you create the points graphically by selecting the location and finalizingwith dimensions.

joe

mjcole_ptc said:
Problem is with WF2 and possibly other versions Pro/E will display the message.
Pattern creation successful.
Features mirrored successfully.

Before it has succesfully done either. It's kind of like when you used to tell your Mom you had already finished all your homework before going out to play.

I love that
smiley36.gif
..... fantastic way of describing the process. I have learned over the years to ignore what ProE is telling you in the command line dyring regen and also learned that regen time is the perfect time to get that cup of coffee!
smiley4.gif

Kev

One good improvment would be forPro/E to determine if a pattern could be identical and if so make it identical. If there was a failure later on due to changes in the part, Pro/E would try to change the pattern typebefore goinginto the resolve feature mode. Should a change be requiredPro/Ewouldgive a warning.

It may alsobe useful to have Pro/E attempt to change the regen option fromgeneral to variable to identical and set all patterns to thesimpleist form possible (not something to run offen on a complicated part.)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back