Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Disappearing of buttons

szofer

Hi

Why additional butons (added by Customize Screen)sometimes disappear? It's refer mainly extra butons for mapkeys but sometimescommon also. Enough to switch off Pro/E and switch on and them I have to add same of my extra butons.

I have switch on option:
Automatically save to C:\proe_files\config.win

In shortcut's options I have path

Start in: C:\proe_files
Edited by: szofer

What you should do is save your config.win file in the Text folder of your pro/engineer installation. After that delete the config.win from the working directories.

your problem will be solved.

Israr

Edited by: Israr

szofer,

the desktop icon for your pro e needs to point to the directory where you store your configs in order for it to load on startup. By default it will look in the text folder of the original installation as Israr mentioned. Or you can direct the startup to look in your personal directory. In either case the file needs to be available for it to take effect on startup. You lose the settings because pro-e can't find your modified file and goes with the default settings.

cheers,

M

Thanks for good advices!

I've moved config.win from C:\proe_files to C:\Program Files\proeWildfire 2.0\text and now Pro/E works correctly...

...but when I save my config.win (Tools---Customize Screen...) a new config.win appears in C:\proe_files with number 1,2,3... . Do you thing that should I change path in row Automatically save to (in Customize window)?

View attachment 3613

By the way

Set Working Directory

View attachment 3614

This option has any influences on settings or its only pointing directory to work in it? In this directory should be any config.* file? It should be the same directory likepath in the desktop icon?

szofer,

if you use the text directory "C:\Program Files\proeWildfire 2.0\text"

you need to make sure your changed config.win goes in that folder, or you will lose the changes on startup. The file will be in whatever directory you select at the time you save...

the "set working directory" should point to the working directory of course. Some files may be saved into that, but the config's should go where you select them to go at the time you save them, just like the above picture as long as you have chosen to automatically save into the location specified.

cheers,

M.

szofer,

the 1,2,3.. that appear with config.win means its versioned file. To get rid of this go to Tools--Folder Options ----View and uncheck Hide extension. Now delete the 1,2,3.. whichever it is and save it. Now this config.win becomes system file and it has now nothing to do with the working directory. If you want to change the config.win do the same steps I mean in the Text folder and convert versioned file to system file.

I hope this is much clear now.

Israr

Israr,

I would like to make a comment about your post to clarify for those that might not understand what will happen by hiding the revisions.

What you described hides the revisions for all the files, not just the versioned config. Those part revisions can be important for making sure people have the same one, especially a vendor or toolmaker.

It might make sense to reset this after doing the changes you described.

just so you know...in my folders it has versioned files showing their versions and config files not showing any revisions...So I would guess that my configs are now "system files". I did not do the process you described so I am curious how they became system files without doing your method. Perhaps that was a function of how they were saved originally.

cheers,

M

magneplanar,

A file having no extension does not means its system file in Pro/Engineer. What you should do is re-uncheck the Hide extension buttion, if you are worried about taht.

Israr

Israr,

not worried...I like to see the revisions especially when tooling gets mad hehe

Just wondered if there is some difference between a config.pro and a config.pro.1 (which I have not seen.) I do have a config.win.18 though...seems to work so I doubt I would change it unless there was some reason to.

cheers,

M

Ok so here's a hypothetical.

The way my group is setup, we all work off the same public working directory (which is also set as everyone's startup directory). Is there a way to keep this setup where everyone has the same config.pro but has separate config.win files? We would like to keep the same basic settings, but would also like everyone to be able to put their buttons wherever they like.

i.e. is there a setting in the pro file that will tell it to look for config.win elsewhere, like on the local hard drive instead of the public working dir?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back