Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

part status

sadrok

Is there a way to set limitations in Intralink based on a certain user group? For example can Intralink be set so drafters can create drawings but not change geometry, the designers can make changes to their models but not the tooling assemblies, and so forth?Sort of like the "locked" feature.

smiley2.gif
So many access rights, don't get me started:):)in my opinion you should all (drafters, designers....)have a continuous communication. Communication is the magic word.

Because for example what would you do if say a drafter needs to change a parameter in a model that has a typing mistake ? Or if he needs to make an analysis feature for a sweep hole to give it's length, because the designer forgot?

I think the best way until the drafters can be "trusted", not to change the geometry, is to have them work closely to the designer to have a constant communication between them. If the drafter spots that a hole has a different diameterhe should ask the designer about, if he says it's ok leave it like that if not the drafter can modify the diameter assisted by the designer.

For example the designers don't always change the dimensions to have the correct number of decimal places. So when you show a dimension in your drawing you have to modify it to 1 or 2 decimals and the model is modified so you have to check in it. This for showing dimensions from model.

Forcreated dimensions and not show/erase, then they really dissapear after you update the model so you loose all dimensions added. But for this there is a config calledcreate_drawing_dims_only if you set it toyes then the dimensions are kept if you update the model.

And besides you should have a person to check the drawings, models , assy's. So if a hole is modified by mistake eventually it will be found out.

But that's just me.
smiley2.gif

But that's enough this is not a rant/rave section
smiley2.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back