Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Problem in Handling igs data

noman19

hi,i am using Pro/E wildfire 3 ,i have got problems in handling igs data,i m not able to merge newsurfaces with the old onesb/c most of the edges are broken or split,the following errors occured during merging

<UL style="MARGIN-TOP: 0in" =disc>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Feature aborted. Geometry was overlapping.</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">This feature contains self-intersecting surfaces. The highlightedsurface has overlapping geometry</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">The highlighted surface boundary contains a vertex which has caused the boundary to invert.</LI>[/list]
Recommended actions:
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
1. If the surface was imported, manually repair the geometry by smoothing or straightening the edge through the Edit Boundary Functions

I also didnot find any "Edit boundary Functions" in Pro-E wildfire 3,plz give me some suggestions to complete this part

noman19,

What you are experiencing is common. Editing boundaries for imported geometry is done in a variety of ways, but usually starts with redefining the import geometry. I suggest you do some searching under the category of "heal geometry".

In your case, there is a way to move a vertex or repair a surface connection. In some cases, you can do this as an automatic operation while redefining the import geometry feature. The steps tend to be like a flow chart in that you try method A ( which might be simple) and then expand to B or C...etc, until you have satisfactorily repaired the geometry. ( it may not ever be exactly as the original)

start with this...(beyond that you will need to do some searching):

1) "edit definition" of the import geometry feature
(the top menu will change to include an option for geometry)
2) select the top menu "geometry" and choose "heal geometry-->automatic" at the drop down menu. If that fixes your problem then you are done, if not then have fun trying the rest of the alternatives...Save often because there is no "undo" when working under the "geometry" category.

[for myself, I usually uncheck the three categories found under "edit-->feature properties" while redefining the import feature (make solid, join surfs, join layers) before trying to repair the geometry, but that is not always necessary. You can check the status by trying to check these boxes again to see if what you have can be made solid, they will all stay checked if a solid can be made from the quilt.]

cheers...

M

Edited by: magneplanar

your suggestion made a great improvement,but it disturbed other surfaces,can u plz give me another alternative to handle this complicated igs data

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back