Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Vista....

tazbaby

Has anyone attempted to run Proe on a windows Vista operating system ?? Our company is considering "upgrading"....

If anyone has tried this please let me know wether successfull or not !!

Taz

Take a gander a eng-tips.com for a related thread or, to put it in a nutshell; it seems you should wait for a new build that's been (supposedly) announced.

If you don't have large assemblies (over 2 Gig), you don't need large memory management, which is IMHO the only reason to switch to 64-bit OS, which in turn can only be found in Vista (oops - forgot 64-bit version of XP) when sticking to Windows OS.

The rest of Vista offers little improvements and lots of extra worries (unstable or un-adapted drivers, excessive hardware demands, not all hardware supported, overpriced, ...).

Alex
Edited by: AHA-D

Windows XP64 has been available for a while and Wildfire2 M160+ is supportted as native 64bit code.

Personally for me I installed the wildfire 3 x64 version, and the difference betwene the standard version was not very noticable. I did have other problems with x64 windows however, especially finding many compatible hardware drivers....so im back to good old standard windows XP Pro
smiley2.gif

I will wait a while before contemplating the vista install... if it aint broke, dont fix it
smiley17.gif

The main drawback of the Vista seems to be lack of native OpenGL support (since OpenGL is emulated in Vista). Therefore you can expect dramatic decrease of the ProE performance. Acoording to some test, those decreases are for various CAD systems up the 70% (e.g. UGX).

I'm usin the SE of Pro|E WF3.0. I'm using the Vista Ultimate OS, and have had no gliches or problems running Pro|E....yet touch wood, however when CLOSING the programa, instead of closing it just stops responding untill vista kicks in and asks whether i want to stop the programe or wait for the programe to respond...which it doesnt. aprt from that it works fine.

PTC has said that WF3 M070 to be released the end of March will be Vista certified.

You will still have to have Vista certified graphics drivers to get the performance that you have with XP.

So just from the responses can i assume Vista will handle assemblies over 2GB ... We use simplified reps to get around this but it would sure be nice to be able to open the whole assembly quickly

NO. Vista is still a 32bit OS and limited to 2GB per process memory limatations that XPpro has.

You will need a 64bit OS to get around the 2GB limit.

As with Windows XP you can get Vista ina 32or 64 bit version. We experience a 30% improvement in speed for Pro/MECHANICA on the same machine when running on XP-64 with the WF3 64 bit software compared to XP with the 32 bits version of WF3 (dual boot tested). I would expect, as Pro/E is very graphics sensitive, that the first version(-s) of Pro/E running on Vista will be slower than thesame versionson the well tested XP (or XP-64) platform. It will take both PTC and the graphics driver manufacturer some time to optimize performance. My advise would be to let Vista "mature" a bit first.

How does 32 or 64 bit limit the per process memory available? Is it more of the fact that windows arbitrarily decided 2gb was enough, iam just curious

Yes and the fact that a 32bit system can only address 4gb any way, 2^32=4gb.

Windows uses so much memory by itself that MS put the 2gb per process limit on the system. You can use a /3gb switch in the boot.ini file to get 3gb per process, but in actuality that causes problems. So you add a /userva=2900 switch in boot.ini to give the OS 1.1gb and the user processes 2.9gb.

With a 64bit system all of these restrictions become meaningless. They don't really go away, just that they are high enough you normally won't hit them.

Hey thanks looslib ... We do run a unix system that will handle our large assemblies ... could someone explain why unix can handle this, is the architecture of unix different .... I mean is it 32 bit or 64 bit or just different

My 2 cents, wait till Vista SP1 comes out. I read that Intel is waiting for that before migrating. As with all new software, there are bound to be bugs in the code in its initial release to the wild, sorta like the F00 builds of PTC products.

Edited by: mediumsliced

Unix OS's don't put the 2GB per process limit on applications. They also handle memory swapping better.

Referring to your post regarding installation of WF-3 on Vista, I wanna ask did any1 find any problem in configuring the license server?I installed WF-3 license server on Windows Vista Ultimate, the installation was successful, but Vista is not allowing the services "lmgrd" amd "ptc_d" which run in the background for license configuration. can u help me in resolving this issue.

I've visited the macrovision site but couldn't find the solution. In my personal opinion, it has nothing to do with Macrovision, rather it is the enhanced security of VISTA that is not allowing the servise to be added in "startup" options (MSCONFIG file). Does anyone has any solution??

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back