Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

making mirror images of parts?

kelveh

Hi,

i'm modelling a simple car. i have modelled a chassis (symmetrical) and made a door on the left hand side using the chassis to cut the door into shape. then i inserted windows and things onto it. i want to put the same looking door on the other side. how would i go about doing that?

i want the doors to be independent in terms of movement, that is, i can open one and the other will stay closed. BUT when i edit one of them, say, put a groove on the first door, i want it to appear on the second.

thanks,
Kelvin

You can create a dummy assembly and then create a mirrored part.

First add the left side door to the assembly. Place along defaultlocation if you can. Then Create component within assembly, and select mirror.Make sure you do not choose an assembly level datum as mirror reference. You don't want it referenced to the dummy assembly.

Hope this helps

Hey, thanks for the help.

i've been looking in the help files and i found:
When a subassembly is mirrored, the assembly features that belong to the subassembly are mirrored as well. All layer information from the source model is copied to the new layers. These layers are independent after they are copied.
so whatever changes i make to the original won't be updated to the mirrored, but from my interpretation of the help files, when i redefine the mirror, the changes become updated

the help files are frustrating. if i don't know the right jargon to search for, i can't find what i'm looking for.

i have constrainted my door by aligning 2 axis and 2 planes perpendicular planes to those axis to make a pivot (using assemblyconstraints). so the door is now in place. but i want to open it. and i am having trouble dragging the thing open. what do i have to do to open it?

Did you use pin connection when assembling the door? (WF 030)

I hope you assembled the doors independently.

Lau

i'm using wf3 schools edition.

i only discovered the 'mechanisms' part (as opposed to just 'constraints') later. i tried using the pin connection thing but i can't complete it. i don't know how. at the moment i'm just putting on the 1 door without making the second. i have created axis datums on both parts and i aligned them. then i aligned 2 datum planes perpendicular to both of the axis to prevent sliding along the axis. but i think that is invalid for some reason. it won't let me finish there, it keeps prompting me to select something, after i selected both of the datum planes.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back