Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

basic question

2ms1

Below you will see a picture of a little assembly comprising a
torsional springed hinge joint. I am trying to integrate it into
the larger assembly that the curve you can also see in picture is part
of. Specifically, I am trying to place its center on the datum
point along the curve you see in background.

The problem is that, no matter what I do, I can't seem to get the joint
assembly oriented correctly. I want it oriented such that it is
basically same as in picture below, but so that the legs of spring are
on top rather than on bottom.

I tried using "Move" to manually orient it with mouse to where it was
very close to final intended orientation after constraints applied, in
hopes of its then ending up in correct orientation after applying
constraints, however it didn't work.

Please tell me what I have done wrong or what I additionally need to do
in adding the joint to the assembly below. The second two
graphics show the constraints I have used.

View attachment 3075

View attachment 3076

View attachment 3077

Can you create a plane with the proper orientation in the part and then match it to one created in the assembly?

Do you feel that is really necessary? It seems like a workaround. If it works and it's the only thing that works then I'll have to do it but there are hundreds of these kinds of hinges in my project.

I tried adding an additional constraint (shown below) to the ones shown above (even though it was already fully constrained). I tried orienting a face of the part to Top Assembly plane. it doesn't work though. When I hit flip button or whatever had to to get preview showing part oriented the way I wanted, it just went back to normal once I hit the green check and actually applied the new settings.

View attachment 3092

View attachment 3093

Edited by: 2ms1

Uhhhh... I don't want to seem dense, but the picture you posted is not an orient constraint, but a coincident constraint.

Wildfire negotiates this stuff better than older versions of proe, but perhaps in this case it is better to not overconstrain more than you have to.

I think the reason your part is not being oriented correctly is because you have the allow assumptions box checked. It will tell you that it is fully constrained until you uncheck that box. Then you can put the plane to plane constraint on it.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back