Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Bending across a hem

jstraitiff

I have a sheetmetal (.016" thick) part with 2 hems (its a strap and the hems stiffen it and make the edges not sharp). The strap is approx. 2.5"Wx 17" L. Ithas 1" hemsalong its entire 17"lengthI need to bend it with a large radius (approx. 4 inches). I have tried all of the different bending techniques that I can come up with and nothing seems to work (feature is aborted). Anyone out there got any ideas?

Hi

Have you solved this problem?

I think youwant tocreate the following - a curved band with hemmed walls that will flattern out in sheetmetal

View attachment 2751

I did it by the following method

In sheetmetal make the first wall a revolve rad 4" make it revolve through 265 degrees (gives approx 17"length) or more and cut it back later!

Now pick one side edge

Add a flanges wall you need this to be a hem (in wildfire 3) this istermed a flushed wall - make it 1" wide.

Repeat for the other edge

Now you can unfold it by picking one of the end edges to remain fixed while you bend back.

You can bend it back to give a flat hemmed item

View attachment 2752

or you can completely flatten it

If you are still stuck send me your email and I will send you the step by step menu picks and model

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back