Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Forum not always working

Zestje

Hello,

I visit this forum from work or home almost every day, and find that every now and then the forum seems to work only extremely slow, so that sometimes only half a page loads and the rest shows up a minute later or even longer. Sometimes the loading of a page just halts entirely, so must go back and reload it again.
And sometimes the forum just doesn't work at all.

I was wondering if more people experience these problems or know what the cause might be?

BTW My work is in Germany near Aachen, and my home is in the Netherlands, near Maastricht, so this might have something to do with it.

Then I have another question: because of these connection problems I'd like to download the entire ProE forum posts for offline use (without the linked files), which would make it a lot faster, preferably with a tool that lets me update the changes every time.
Is this possible, and with what tool?

Thank you!

Hey Zestje,

I have never had a problem with the connection speeds all that much and really never have seen page loading errors with MCAD central. Ocassionally, I would say twice (maybe) a month the site goes down displaying an error message that the Oracle DB log file must be cleared. This may only occur as long as a day in the worst case senario. Sometimes, during peak hours of use, I would assume that the forum gets a little slower when handeling page requests, but I have seen nothing too serious.

Concerning the page errors (pages not loading all of the way), I would make sure that you have the latest version of whatever broswer you are using. I have tried using IE 6, Firefox 1.5+ and Opera 9. Opera 9 had several "inconviences" when using this forum (mostly due to the HTML within the posts when creating the posts).

Finally, with respect to downloading the MCAD fourm (ProE), I am assuming that you are referring to NNTP (newsgroups) like the way USENET works. I do not believe it is possible (yet?) to post and recieve via NNTP. However, a very similar method to recieve the latest forum posts (but not download them locally) is to use the RSS feeds available on this site. I believe this is the closest thing available to what you describe. Here is the link for more information.
<a href="http://www.mcadcentral.com/feeds/default.asp" target="_blank">
http://www.mcadcentral.com/feeds/default.asp</a>

To utilize this RSS feed you will require a newsreader. Several of these newsreaders are listed here:
<a href="http://www.cnet.com/4520-6022-5115113.html" target="_blank">
http://www.cnet.com/4520-6022-5115113.html</a>

Hope that this helps.

I have notice, some problems with forum also, few times on moth forum is down, as well as whole mcad central, this I have notice abut 3 or 4 times, some month is all alright, some months forum is more time down, and some months is less.

Also I have notice that when I open forum my CPU usage goes way to 100%, why is that I don't know, and this issue isn't always, just sometimes this happened. I use IE 6.0, with all updates, and I must say, I use IE only for MCAD Central, because of IE SpellChecker, for all other I use FireFox. If there would be spell checker for Firefox, I would instantly migrate to Firefox
smiley2.gif

If someone knows is there spell checker for firefox, please let me know
smiley2.gif

Hello, thank you for your replies.

I guess there's nothing I can do from here to get a better connection.
Even as I'm trying to post this repliy I had to open the page 3 times
before it loaded completely. but tha part of the page that does load usually loads fast ;-)

I'm using the latest Firefox, but IE has the same problem. I'm quite
sure it is the connection over the internet to the MCADcentral server
that is not good.

About the downloading: I meant the downloading of the forum literally.
RSS feeds are a nice tool, but because I often look up things in the
forum it would be nice to have it downloaded to a local disk for 'offline' use for me (and
my colleagues). So that even when the forum is (almost) not working like
now I can still find an answer quickly. I don't care if the download is over a Gb (I don't need the linked files). I'm not sure though if the admins would appreciate me generating this much traffic at once...

greetz!

Admins, pppppplease fix the forum being down so often!
smiley19.gif
smiley11.gif
smiley5.gif

I haven't been able to use it for 3 or 4 days in a row until today, which is quite frustrating if you need help.

This forum is way too good to not be able to use it!
smiley32.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back