Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

LCD monitors vs CRT monitors

Hanns 003

Hi all,

I'm looking at upgarding my old CRT monitor to an LCD but l'm concerned about thequality of image from the LCD's? Particularly the refresh rate and getting a blurred image when spinning my models. Can anyone please let me know if they are using LCD's and how they find them.

Thanks in advance, John.

LCD, rocks.
i use a 19" Philips lcd with 8ms refresh. In pro-e i can not tell the differnce. The desk space differnce is massive from my old chunky 21" crt.

go LCD. and since it takes up less space. try to get 2 :) and go duel screen. Also seems easier on the eyes.

The only down side to lcd. is if you have some Super fast objects. you seem to get a little motion blur, But this pretty much never happens.

After getting the lcd @ work. i got the same one for home. It works fantastic even with games. Ive seen some 12ms refresh lcd's definatly not as good.

Thanks Puppet.

Can l ask what graphics card you are using and willit make a difference with the LCD's not looking blurry when spinning parts.

Traditionally LCD monitors have suffered from pixels turning on very quickly but are relatively slow decay time. This defect manifests itself as blurring when a leading bright area is followed by a trailing dark area when spinning a shaded object reasonably quickly.

I am of the opinion that this is the real reason why PTC changed the background colour from dark blue in every version of Pro/E till 2001 to the grotty tan colour in WF and later. When the background went from flat dark blue to graded blue, PTC said this was as a result of researching the most suitable scheme. Is this research suddenly and dramatically wrong????

Maybe there are better LCD monitors out there than the 2 year old one I am using at work but mine was awful. The blurred area could be 4-6mm wide so I got a CRT as my first monitor and relegated the LCD to a second monitor and am much happier for it.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Hey John,

I got a Dell 1905FP (19" digital) here and I couldn't be happier. The response time is very good and Pro/E models spin very clearly. Also, I am a firm believer that LCD (but at least 19"+ viewable) will save your eyes in the long run. Mine are still recovering from the CRT years.

Hope this helps.

Dell_Boy

The grey gradient came from marketing to want a differentiation from
2001. PTC marketing wanted the change so there was a larger perceived
change in software.

We have ACER and DELL 19" flat panels. One 24" Dell too!

The most serious handicap for TFT-panels is the price you pay per pixel. There are large panels around, but most of the time it is done by enlarging the pixels. Look at television LCDs, they can be over 30" large but offer less pixels than an average monitor.

Since everything on your monitor is expressed in pixels it is important to have plenty available. If youhave 64-pixel high command buttons then there will only fit 14 on900 height (common on wide TFT) and 19 on 1200 height (common on large CRT). So if actual working space (that is the view you're working in) is important, you need as much pixels as you can get. And if you look at what's available in the 1200-pixel high TFT offerings then you'll soon notice that you easily pay 2-3 times the money you would spend on a high-quality CRT.

So I'm sticking to my 22" CRT for the moment, at a very comfortable 1600x1200.

Alex

I would think that the average LCD is much easier on your eyes. Think about it: a Cathode Ray Tube is basicallyan electron gun that shoots charged particles at your face. In terms of pure radiant wattage hitting your eyes the LCD has to be better for you.

Heh, you don't have to worry about response time for CAD with any TFT faster than 25ms, trust me.

Just make sure to use a DVI connection. You need it when dealing with single-pixel thin lines.

I have a Dell 20" TFT next to a Philips Trinitron here, and the difference is astounding. The TFT is sharp as a printed paper. The CRT looks in comparison like an aquarium that someone spilled a pint of milk in.

The 24" Dell LCD's are cheaper than Sony 24" CRT's and run at the same 1920 x 1200 resolution. We buy the 24" Dells with every new workstation, no complaints. Big is beautiful.

All depends on what you buy if you stick with the better Dell, Sony, or Viewsonic they are all good. I personally have an Samsung at home and was surprised how well it has worked with ProE, though I don't work on it 5 x 8...

MichailS said:
I have a Dell 20" TFT next to a Philips Trinitron here, and the difference is astounding. The TFT is sharp as a printed paper. The CRT looks in comparison like an aquarium that someone spilled a pint of milk in.

Your Trinitron should be equally sharp or you should return it. My 22" Iiyama was playing the same tricks on me after the holidays. I returned it and got a brand new one. It's only then that you realize you have been adapting to "less than sharp".

TFT is purely digital : a pixel is in a fixed place and - when digitally "fed" - keeps it in a fixed place. CRT shows info where the cathode ray hits the screen. Making it better for smooth gradients but requiring absolute focus on all parts of the screen to depict sharp edges. Focus (lack off -)is precisely the most common defect. And nothing worse for you than your eyes being in focus on the screen and your brain saying they aren't ...

Alex

Well, it is an old CRT and I don't have a say in the hardware supplied on this particular company.

Also, I scrounged it from a trolly when the IT personnel were replacing CRTs with TFTs, in order to get a dual-screen setup. :) I don't think they would honor my requests for a replacement.

We have put in two Viewsonic VP930b LCD this year. The users really like them. While I feel the fonts on text on any flat panel I've ever seen are not as fine, the contrast is much better. I'll never buy a crt again. These proffesional series monitors were about $300, 19" with about the same viewable as 21".

Much easier on an aging administrator to carry, too.
smiley1.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back