Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Points coordonate listing

fcyr

I want to create a piping model.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I would like the end points of my pipe to be independent from the assembly.

I created a part and assembled it in my top assembly. I created some points in the part attach to the assembly feature I want my end pipe.

How can I create a position (x,y,z)listing of those points according to the part coordinate system?

With this list of points, I want to create a point table so my point will be freeof the assembly. So if someone want to modify the pipe, it will be possible.

Edited by: fcyr

I found what I was looking for...
Using a Datum Point Array <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
A specific set of datum points belonging to the same feature as a datum point array can also be exported. The type of coordinate system (Cartesian, cylindrical, or spherical) can be specified in this technique. Additionally, the points are written to a simple text file in column format which facilitates importing the data file into other software packages.

1. <LI =Msonormal style="COLOR: navy; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo3">First, create an IGES file containing the datum point locations as noted in the previous section. This file can be read into Pro/ENGINEER and its contents exported in a column format for easier reading. Create a temporary part by clicking File > New, then click the Part radio button, type a part name (e.g. temp), uncheck the Use default template check box and click OK. Click Empty in the New File Options dialog box and then OK. Create default datum planes by clicking Insert > Model Datum > Plane and a default coordinate system clicking Insert > Model Datum > Default Coordinate System.
    <LI =Msonormal style="COLOR: navy; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo3">Next, create a datum point array using the previous IGES file. At a DOS or UNIX shell window, rename the IGES file to remove the .igs extension and change it to .pts; for example, rename filename.igs to filename.pts. Click Insert > Model Datum > Point > Offset Coordinate System and select the default coordinate system created in Step 1 as Reference in the Offset CSys Datum Point dialog box. Click the type of coordinate system (e.g. Cartesian) and click Import then browse to open the existing IGES file with the .pts extension.
    <LI =Msonormal style="COLOR: navy; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo3">A formatted point file can be created by clicking Save in the Offset CSys Datum Point dialog box, entering the file name and clicking OK. Pro/ENGINEER creates a column formatted output file named name.pts.XX where XX is the version number of the points file (e.g. fred.pts.1). </LI>

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back