Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

WF2 M190 memory stability issues

jhyder79

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed the pattern that I have noticed...

I have an HP xw4200 workstation with 2GB of memory. When I work on large assemblies in WF2, it is not uncommon for me to use up most of this memory. I have discovered that everything is nice and stable until I reach about 90% physical memory usage. At this point, WF2 begins to act unstable and crashes frequently. I have tried differnt memory sticks and even took away and added memory to see if the problem went away. No matter what I did it still became unstable when there was about 90% or more physical memory usage.

Another thing I have noticed is that WF2 seems to be much more stable and much much faster when running on Linux when compared to Windows (running on the same hardware). This leads me to believe that alot of my problem comes from memory management in Windows. Anyone have any thoughts or comments?

90 % of 2 gb should put you at about 1.8 gb of memory usage.
Windows XP has a 1.5 gb memory switch (amount of memory allowed to one
program). So yes you are running into memory errors in
windows. If you do some searching you should be able to bump this
limit up but in reality if your assemblies are that big you should
probably look at a 64 bit windows system (it supports alot more memory).

As far as Linux running pro better...I don't know much about that but I
think PTC is not going to support Pro on Linux much longer.

From what I understand, PTC is going to add support for Linux because of it's increasing popularity (especially since Novell owns Suse now and Red Hat is gaining alot of ground) and the fact that Windows Vista is going to be such a hard platform to work with (not to mention a serious resource hog). I wouldn't be suprised if alot more of us start running Linux on our workstations in the next couple of years (I know it would make me alot happier and more productive).

Pro/ENGINEER has run on Linux since Wildfire was released. However, they are likely going to stop supporting it soon.

From PTC's site:

"Unless there is a dramatic shift in the adoption of Linux by our customers, PTC plans to discontinue support of Pro/ENGINEER on Linux in the Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 4.0 release."

HI all,

I agree with you Caldwell.

one of my colleagues used to get Pro crashed when the memory usage is almost 90% on his 2 GB machine....on win XP..

We have to increase the max memory used per program in Win xp to solve this problem..Our windows expert did it and the problem is solved..

Iam surprised by such a blunder , if PTC fails to support PRO on linux..May be it is a "cost cutting measure" from a managment guy who knew little of Linux...I reckon, the market will compel for PTC to support PRO on Linux..

Hi all,
now Unigraphics NX4 is available for Suse Linux 10 64 bit edition.
In my opinion PTC must release Proe Wildfire and Mechanica for the same architeture.
What do you think ?

Best regards

Sounds like another bad decision by PTC. Like the one to move tech support over seas or the one to change Proe to look and operate like other CAD systems. I remember when Proe was the leader in 3D CAD applications but now it seems they are followers.

Getting the maximum out of your 32 bits box:

To increase the per process memory limit on 32 bits XP-prof just add /3Gb in the boot .ini (hidden file in c:\) after the /fastdetect using notepad and reboot your system. The Pro/E and MECHANICA executables are large address aware since Wildfire or Wildfire 2.0 so you don't have to patch them. For older releases use imagecfg.exe -l (small L, to be found in the proE ..\i486_nt\obj dir)to patchboth xtop.exe and msengine.exe. You should now be able to run up to 3 Gb process size in WinXP 32 bits (example: you can run MECHANICA analysis upto 3 Gb, even if you have only 1.5 Gb of actual RAM). For more info look for "/3Gb Switch" on the Microsoft site.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back