Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Geforce 7800GTX

stelios111

HI

Does anybody know what should I do to make my graphics card (Asus Nvidia 7800GTX) to work with ProEngineer? It a brand new powerful and expensive graphics card and it works worse than my previous 6600.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

What is problem with working in ProE? is it slow? or what else?
You wrote like it doesn't work at all, what I hardly doubt, 7800GTX is really powerful graphic card.

Solution:
Try to install lattes drivers, or try to install different drivers and see on which ones does performances are better.
Also you could try to play with RivaTuner, and tweak your graphic card to professional (Strongly recommended to do backup before doing tweak and messing with drivers).
Here you can download RivaTuner and read how to tweak drivers:
http://www.guru3d.com/

smiley1.gif

You can rebuilt your software and downloadthe http://drivers.mydrivers.com/drivers/dir139/d55871.shtml

try it

I can't tell you why the 7800GTX is slower than the 6600 (perhaps changes in OpenGL implementation in the drivers or hardware?), but I can tell you at least partly why neither card is great for Pro/E.

Pro/E uses OpenGL to tell windows and your graphics card what to display in different windows. There are, however, different degrees to which OpenGL can be supported by a graphics card. My understanding is that the Geforce cards are optimized for 3D video games and other more "consumer" type applications. Pro/E is much more sophisticated and uses many more OpenGL features to handle all the CAD information. Since Geforce cards don't support these features, Pro/E runs dramatically slower. The Nvidia Quadro FX cards are vastly superior for Pro/E, in my experience, because they're specifically designed to handle the necessary OpenGL commands.

For comparison, I recently benchmarked a three year old Quadro FX1100 against a pair of overclocked Geforce 7800GT's running in SLI mode. One might think the SLI would smoke the FX1100. In fact, the opposite was true. Using SPECviewperf 8.1, the FX1100 setup was over 20 times faster.

I don't know how the Quadro FX cards deal with the latest video games but if you care about Pro/E performance (especially with complex assemblies), I highly recommend using a Quadro FX card over the Geforce. There are also a number of other workstation-class cards that are compatible with Pro/E; Nvidia is just my personal favorite.

Edited by: brianriley

you can get a ton of benchmark results at proesite.com, for pretty much all geforce and quadro cards. Numbers speak louder than words sometimes.

If you can, RMA the GTX and get a Fire GL V5100 (street price around $550). This card smokes the Nvidia FX3000 in Pro/E and it's not an altogether terrible gamer either though you won't get shader 2.0 support and the like.

It really comes down to whether you doing some Pro/E on a gaming rig or gaming on a Pro/E rig.

If you're 'stuck' with your 7800 then, as already stated, trying some different drivers is realistically all you've got. The RIVA tuner slope is pretty slippery and those unlocking pipes / flashing to Quadro and the like almost always end up with artifacting but hey, if you're the tinkering type you've got nothing to lose.

Google 'flashing GeForce to Quadro' or something similar

I use the 7800GTX GO in my laptop and it works great, one limitation is if you have more than 3 ProE windows open it will come to a screaching halt, so keep it down to 3 open windows and its no problem.

Both ATI and nVidia make two tiers of their chips.

ATI makes the Radeon and FireGL lines.
nVidia make the GeForce and Quadro lines.

The Radeon and the FireGL are transistor by transistor identical to one another. Same with the GeForce and the Quadro.

The difference is that some resistors on the graphics cards PCB identify it to the drivers during installation.

When the card is identifed as a FireGL or Quadro, the drivers utilize all of the chips' capabilities and the card works well with CAD.

When the card is identified as a Radeon or GeForce, certain capabilities are disabled or neutered. This leaves the card good for gaming, the performance is the same as the CAD variety in games - but once you use applications that need for example multiple windows with OpenGL acceleration or hardware video overlays which are professional environments - then you get decreased performance and/or strange bugs happening with the gaming line of cards. Flaws by design.

This is all of course in order to differentiate the market - to sell the same product at a higher price to those who want and can afford it, while at the same time selling it cheaper to those who just want some of the features but at a lesser price.

Devious? No, it's called capitalism.

Anyway - the reason why your 7800 is slower than your 6600 was is probably because of driver residues that you might want to flush out with at least a reinstallation of drivers. I have had the very same thing happen to me more than once, but I usually reinstall the whole OS because cleaning up old drivers can be a nightmare.
Edited by: MichailS

love mine, single monitor though.. why dont you get a 24 or 30 widescreen instead of blowing money on multi card/display setups?

Actually, two work surfaces instead of one is convenient because

a) instead of one insanely expensive monitor you use two cheaper.
b) it is convenient to be able to just click the "maximize" icon and have
one document fill one monitor while you use the other for whatever. I
prefer that to having to manually resize windows to make two side by
side.
c) Wildfire don't really require that much real-estate. Even 1280x1024 is
plenty enough for most needs unless you spend a lot of time doing 2D
drawings. 1600x1200 is almost overkill. 2560x1920 is ludicrous.

I think the optimal setup is two 20" 1600x1200 TFTs. Were I to use 2D
AutoCAD all day I would prefer one 30" 2560x1920 though.

Certainly.

I have a FireGL with dual TFTs at home, but I daresay that ATIs implementation is a bit clunkier than nVidias.

If I put the settings so that when I maximize a window it should stretch over just one display, it has some erratic behaviour with the FireGL that the dual-monitor Quadro 500 I use at work does not exhibit.

Such as first stretching the window over both displays and then resizing it to fit one, and adding pointless buttons to the min/max/close group up in the right corner, and when a window is maximized it doesn't look like it on the border and icons, et cetera. The nVidia dual-monitor functionality plain works better.

It is not bad enough to motivate me to swap graphics card, though. Just minor annoyances.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back