Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

working directory

tomh

Pro/E starts by reading the

<Loadpoint directory> then the

<start in directory> and then the

<working dir>?.

How do I set up an icon that will start Pro/E to open in a specific folder but still read the Loadpoint and start in directory?

I am running WF2.0 M110 and not running Intralink.

Thanks

Create a windows shortcut icon.

Go to the shortcut's properties (right click)

edit the "Start in" to where you want to working directory.

The working directory and path must exist before you do this. or ProE will just start in the load point dir.

Right, but what if my config files are in a seperate folder than the loardpoint dir and the working directory?

------------------------------------------------------------ ------

Create a windows shortcut icon.
Go to the shortcut's properties (right click)
edit the "Start in" to where you want to working directory

------------------------------------------------------------ -----

what if my config files are in a seperate folder than the loardpoint

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------

It has nothing to do with the config files.

Israr

I know it doesn't have anything to do with the config files if they are not in the loadpoint directory. My issue is that I would like to set up multiple Pro/E icons that open in seperate/different working directories and read the same config.pro file that is located elsewhere.

Right now, my understanding is that to get Pro/E to read the config.pro or the config.sup files, they need to be in either the loadpoint directory or the start in folder. I do not want to the config.pro file in either of these folders.

Iscar wrote: "It has nothing to do with the config files."

Careful here. It does. But it's no problem.

tomh

Please, Please, Please get your main configs in the /loadpoint/text directory. That will make things easier.

ProE loads up to 4 configs at startup. The last one loaded the
one in the "Start in" directory which is going to be the working
directory.

Here you can have your cool little tricks. Let's say you have
different projects and want different configs loaded while working on
each project. Just make different shortcuts to the different
working directories where you would have the special/unique configs.

I know but my goal here is to consolidate the config.pro files that our CAD department uses. I refuse to update 20+ different files that are identical. Therefore I'd like to know if there is a way to set up Pro/E where in the config.sup file (an option maybe?) or some other setting controls where the config.pro file is read from should it not be in any of the primary directoryies that are read upon opening.

are trying to be the proe administrator? GOOD LUCK!........just kidding.

Please explain your situation in detail.

how many users.

how many and what type of config files.

when and where you use the different ones.

what operating system is the file server

etc.

tomh said:
Pro/E starts by reading the

<Loadpoint directory> then the

<start in directory> and then the

<working dir>?.

How do I set up an icon that will start Pro/E to open in a specific folder but still read the Loadpoint and start in directory?

I am running WF2.0 M110 and not running Intralink.

Thanks
Actually, Pro/E reads (in this order):
load_point\text\config.sup
load_point\text\config.pro
start_in\config.pro
user_home\config.pro

When you change the working dir it does not automatically read the config.pro in that directory.

Search these forums for config.pro and you will find lots of posts on how different companies deal with syncing config.pro files for multiple users/projects/etc.

Only put settings that you never want to change in config.sup because these can not be overridden by later config.pro files or while Pro/E is running. DO NOT put mapkeys in config.sup because that will limit you to one mapkey!

One of the easiest ways to control all users is to only load Pro/E on your server and have everyone link to it. That is what we do. Pro/E takes slightly longer to start across the network but then runs just the same as a local install. Single point to maintain that way.

Other people create login or startup scripts that copy the company config.pro file to the users machine each time. Again, that gives you single point management.

Individual user settings should only be allowed in the user_home\config.pro (& config.win). That is typically C:\ on a windoz machine.

We only put additional search path settings in individual working directory config.pro files. The exception are a few products designed in inches where we change the default startpart and drawing detail config settings. The user has to manually load the config.pro when they change the working directory.

Alright:

4 users with station specific licences (we travel with our computers alot). Windows XP, Wildfire 2.0 M120. No Intralink or anyother data managment software.

Each station has its own config.sup file located in the loadpoint directory (each workstations C (hard) drive). This controls all options except the search path and mapkeys. All other files that control Pro/e are located on the network (the Z drive)in a "Config_Files" folder. ei. hole charts, search paths, config.win, etc. This way I can change one file and all stations are in the loop. Yes, I do need to update each stations config.sup file this way.

Okay, I have 3 main parts libraries. The Model Files, Purchased parts, and customer data. The Model files and the purchased parts areas are where we do all our work (working directories). When we are done with a machine for a project we do a "back-up" to the customers folder in the customer data area. This way the machine is contained in the machines part folder, but if we need to replace a part for a customer in the future we can go to the customer folder and bring up exactly what is in operation at their facility.

I what to set up pro/e icons to each customer folder that would not read the generic config.pro file (which affects the mapkeys and search paths). I want to create one config.pro file that would pertain to all the individule customer folder. There would be NO search path for these customer folders because they are backed up parts. I do not want Pro/e reading the model files or the purchased parts folders while working in the customer folders. Therefore,It would be great if I could create an icon that opend in the customer parts folder (setting it to the working directory), but read a generic-b config.pro file located in a seperate folder.

If I understand:

Each station has:

1. fully installed proe with locked license

2. config.sup (you would like these all to be the same)
The network server (Z drive on the client machines) has

1. .hol files
  2. search.pro
  3. config.win
  4. etc?? what else? (doesn't really matter)
  5. Z:\model_files\user1 ..\uesr2 ..\user3 (etc)
  6. Z:\purchased_parts\directory1 ..\directory2 ..\directory3 (etc)
  7. Z:\customer_data\customer1 ..\customer2 ..\customer3 (etc)

By your what you said earlier I assume that you never do work unless
your connected to the network. Is that right? Do you just
travel for a 'show and tell' to a customer? Either way, it's OK.

I have a solution for you. Some may say it's madness
smiley15.gif
but it is creative and will save you tons of headaches in the future.

The hardest to understand is this first part. Bear with me and I'll try a walk you trough it.

Step 1. Make your company files:

1. config.sup
  2. config.pro (include widely used mapkeys, in/export settings, and most important with no search paths) these settings would be used regardless of what job you are doing (modeling, show & tell, etc)

3. all the .hol files
  4. whatever else you share as a company
  5. NO search.pro (we'll cover this later)

Step 2. Put them on the company file server where people only have read
only access to them. (change thier permission or shares
attributes)

Step 3. Go get something to eat because you'll need your strength

Step 4. Create a dos .bat file that does the following:copies all the
comapny files you create in Step 1 and are located on the server to
thier respected locations on the stantion's C drive. This is just
how I expalined a few weeks back.

<ul>
[*]Use the "xcopy" command for each file.

Example on the config.sup & config.pro:

xcopy Z:\mcadconfigs\config.* C:\Progra~1\proe2001\text\* /Y /D

"config.*" selects both config.sup and config.pro

"C:\Progra~1\proe2001\text\*" is the path to the destination.

"/Y" suppresses prompting to overwrite an existing file.

"/D" copies only changed files (newer ones)

[/list]

Step 5. Place this bat file on the server and make it readonly

Step 6. On each of the stations, add to the top line proe*.bat file to execute the file you created in step 4.

There, we are most of the way through. At this point you will
have each machine running independant with all the common files
updating automatically.

I need to take a break now. My job is calling. I'll be back to explain the cool part for your customer projects.

Okay. I've created the "config.bat" file and saved it toa folder on the network. When I run it maniually it works great, but I am unclear as to how get Proe to read this file upon starting the software up.

You stated: "Step 6. On each of the stations, add to the top line proe*.bat file to execute the file you created in step 4."

I don't fully understand this...

OK. Do you know how proe starts? It's kind of messed up but that's OK.

Go to where proe is installed on the machine. Find the master
file that starts the application. I still use 2001 so my file is
"pro2001.bat" It's location is in the "C:\Program
Files\proe2001\bin\" directory. (default install)

From here I would right click on the file "pro2001.bat" and select edit.

Then I would add a new first line that looks like this:

Call Z:\somepath\config.bat

What this will do is when the windows machine wants proe to start, the
proe batch file will call your config.bat, execute it, and then proceed
to opening up proe.

How is that so far?

yeah I found it. Although Ican not get the proe1.bat file to read the "config.bat".

The proe1.bat file looks like this:

@echo off
Call Z:\Applications\Proe\Batch_Files\config.bat
C:\PTC_wildfire-20\bin\proe.exe C:\PTC_wildfire-20\bin\proe1.psf %*

Cool. Now here is the rest.

Now we continue.

Step 7. On your Z drive, create a directory that will be everyone's
commom start point. For now I will call it 'prostart'. This
will be located in Z:\model_files\userarea\... whatever you
like.

Step 8. For each of the stations only have one proe shortcut on each
machine. Edit the properties and change the "Start in" to
the directory on the Z drive created in step 7.

Step 9. Make a config.pro with all the general search paths.
These should be the paths to all your model_files, purchased_parts,
etc. (don't put the paths to the completed customer
directories. If I understand your layout)

Step 10. Put this in the directory thay you created in Step 7 on the Z drive.

Now you have a shortcut on each machine that will load up all the search paths.

Next we'll make the customer specific ones.

Step 11. On the Z drive, make a directory called customer_start (or whatever you like)

Step 12. Take, copy or make a new one, a proe shortcut and place it in the directory you made in step 11.

Step 13. Edit the properties. Change the 'start in' to "Z:\customer_data\customer1" or whatever the path is to the project back-up folder.

Step 14. Copy and rename this shortcut to each one the customer
directories. Remember to edit the 'Start in' to the
respective directory.

Leave all these shortcuts on the server.

Now you are finished.

Next I'll write about the expected behaivor of the different situations.

Alright kschauer, I can't get the proe1.bat file to read the config.bat file on the network drive.

@echo off
run Z:\Applications\Proe\Batch_Files\config.bat
C:\PTC_wildfire-20\bin\proe.exe C:\PTC_wildfire-20\bin\proe1.psf %*

Above is the proe1.bat file. Any suggestions?

Okay. I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was still trying to open useing the proe.exe file instead of the proe1.bat file. Now it updates the config.sup, config.pro, and the config.win files everytime. Well at least it checks for them.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back