Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

*Working directory* newbie tutorial?

lordi

Hi from doing the forum search on working directory issues I couldn't really follow the described steps entirely and it seems ppl used different versions of Wildfire so I thought of asking you first before I wreck my ProE installation by ignorance and mistakes.

1.)
I didn't quite follow these steps which one of these directories do I alter the file in I have 2 config.pro files.

<div style="margin-left: 40px;">F:\proeWildfire\jlink\jlink_appls\jlink_elev
F:\proeWildfire\jlink\jlink_appls\jlink_param
</div>
Which one do I alter? ( elev= student )

2.)
I don't know which Wildfire version I'm using so I'm guessing Wildfire 1

<div style="margin-left: 40px;">License Information

Service Contract Number: 2A133566
Release: Wildfire
Pro/Engineer Date Code: 2003330
License Name: Proe_Educ1
License Version: 27.0
License Type: Educational version, Floating License

</div>Can somebody give me a newbie tutorial for Dummies on how to access that config.pro file properly and add that certain command line. Which makes ProE show the specified working directory for all eternity and not have it jump to
C:\Documents and Settings, every single time I relaunch ProE?!!
smiley19.gif

Edited by: lordi

This 2 config files you have found in those 2 directories, are default ProE config files, what you need is your own custom config file.
Here is some guidance how to create custom config file, and where to put it, so ProE would launch from that particular folder:

1. create new folder in F disk (since you have installed ProE on F disk, it relay doesn't matter on which disk you create this folder), name it Configs

2. create config file; there are 2 way to do that; first way is just simply copy existing config file that is in one of your mentioned directories, to directory Configs.
Second method is to use text editor, like Notepad, in Notepad, create New File, when saving this file, under Save as type chose All files, and name file config.pro (this work, if in Folder options, under View tab, option; Hide extension for known file types, is turned Off).

3. content of config.pro option, this relay depends of what would you do, and your personal preferences, I think that here under download section you already have finished config.pro options, try using them (if there aren't any send me PM and I'll send you mine config.pro option).
In time you will learn which options are better, and which suits you better.
Here is link to complete config.pro options for wildfire:
http://www.proesite.com/index.html
Also you can when you are in ProE, go to Tools, Options, now you got your config loaded in ProE, there you can use find tool, and there is described what individual options do in ProE.

4. To change your load point in ProE, to your new folder, and config file, just simply click on your ProE icon on desktop with right mouse button, select Properties, and under Shortcut tab, in Start in write your path to new folder (F:\Configs\), click OK.
Now when you launch ProE from that Icon, it will directly load config, and start folder would be F:\Configs\

Hope it helps ;)
Edited by: Isair

Hey thnx Isair it worked and it seems like I overcomplicated things by thinking that adding instructions in the config.pro file was neccessary in order to have your *working directory* stay at where you assigned it every time you restart ProE.

<div style="margin-left: 40px;">4. To change your load point in ProE, to your new folder, and config file, just simply click on your ProE icon on desktop with right mouse button, select Properties, and under Shortcut tab, in Start in write your path to new folder (F:\Configs\), click OK.
Now when you launch ProE from that Icon, it will directly load config, and start folder would be F:\Configs\
</div>

If I only knew it was this easy then....I don't know what to say
smiley32.gif
Hhuzza for Isair!
Do you ProE veterans usually work with 2 harddrives when CAD:ing? You know
HD1= Operative System (Windows, Linux)
HD2= working directory, scratch file, page file, SWAP file
or do you put everything in one big Gigabyte partition?

Two hard drives are much faster than one. This is not the same as two partitions on one disk.

Also, split your page file across both physical drives. It works better that way because the algorithms allow writing to one disk contemporaneously with reading from the other disk which saves a massive amount of disk head seek time. As a demonstration of this, try copy a really big file (say 1GB) from one part of the disk to another part of the same disk. Then try copying it from one disk to the other disk and note the time difference; particularly on fully defragmented disks.

Maybe it is because you have the educational version but the datecode and version number 27 do not make sense. WF2 is version 25

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back