Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wire EDM in Pro E

Jotry

Hi Everyone,

I am currently using Pro Engineer Wildfire 4.0 M90. Does anyone have any experience in using Pro E in Wire EDM? thanks.

Regards,
Jotry.

Jotry,

Yes, I have experience in WEDM. What can I help you with?

Kent

Hi Kent,

Thank you for the reply. I am actually new to WEDM using Pro Engineer. I have the following questions:

1. What is the usual method of creating nc sequence of wedm process in Pro E?
- When do you use single nc sequence for rough, finishing and detach moves
- When do you use a consolidated nc sequence that includes roughing, finishing and detach?

2. In what application should the table register should be use? Is there anyway to add other columns to control the created nc sequence?

3. How do you control the height of the head (top and bottom) to be 0.2mm height from the top and bottom surface of the workpiece. I was told that this is only achievable using the 4 axis function.

4. When i play back (using screen play of the toolpath, the wire doesn't seem to be long enough to cover the whole height of the workpiece, is this a concern when machining? In milling the rule for the tool length is pretty clearcut, but for wedm it gets a bit confusing.

5. Could you please let me know how much do you charge for post processor creation, if you do for a Fanuc Robocut Alpha. I can also be reached at [email protected]

Thanks.

Regards,
Jotry

thanks Kent ,

I have the same questiong on wirecuttingusing pro-E!

could you sent us a file for 4 axis wircut sequence ?

thanks a lot !

Edited by: SEVENTHKING

The questions you are asking would take some time to answer. I am very busy till the end of the year. If you can't get answers before then, get back with me in 2010.

Thanks,

Kent

Jotry said:
1. What is the usual method of creating nc sequence of wedm process in Pro E?
- When do you use single nc sequence for rough, finishing and detach moves
- When do you use a consolidated nc sequence that includes roughing, finishing and detach?

2. In what application should the table register should be use? Is there anyway to add other columns to control the created nc sequence?

3. How do you control the height of the head (top and bottom) to be 0.2mm height from the top and bottom surface of the workpiece. I was told that this is only achievable using the 4 axis function.

4. When i play back (using screen play of the toolpath, the wire doesn't seem to be long enough to cover the whole height of the workpiece, is this a concern when machining? In milling the rule for the tool length is pretty clearcut, but for wedm it gets a bit confusing.

5. Could you please let me know how much do you charge for post processor creation, if you do for a Fanuc Robocut Alpha. I can also be reached at [email protected]

Q1.
I use a MUDF for all 2X wire. I could use one for 4X as well, but I have been too lazy to make it... The rest of this question is pretty deep really and would take what I think is a lot to explain. I am sorry.

Q2.
I have never needed to use the register table.

Q3.
Correct, you only need to worry about head height when dealing with 4X wire. The heights are controlled by the XY and UV plane settings in the seq setup. These options are only shown for 4X wire as they are not relevant on 2X work.

Q4.
Make the wire definition longer in the tool setup dialog. That will make the wire longer in playback. The XY & UV planes in conjunction with the upper and lower contours will determine "where" things are in the output. The length of the wire as you see it in play back is really about eyewash.

Q5.
I provide these services, but not under these circumstances. I would encourage you to consider making your own post. WEDM, even 4X is not a difficult post to deal with. If you have ProNC you have all things you need via GPOST to make your own post. The GPOST manuals (non-print PDF's) are located in %loadpoint%\i486_nt\gpost directory.

Also note:
Often operators want to manage offsets at the machine and request a path "on part" without wire offset. This works fine for 2X wire (using almost 0 for wire diameter), 4X I find requires a wire diameter definition of at least a few grand.

For me sketched contours seem to work a ton better than selected contours. I don't have much luck with side surface attempts.

Best regards,
Sean

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back