Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Windchill PDMLink Issue

Ashok Kumar

Hi Guys,

I am using Windchill PDMLink 9.0 to handle design stuffs. Actually i am accessing PDMLink server which is so many miles far away from my place. Currently i have 2 MBPS bandwidth.

Check-out of one big assy (more than 1000 parts) takes 10 to 15 mins inside ProE WF 4.0 web interface. Check-in takes half hour depending upon the modified files in the workspace.

Sometimes, one weird thing happens, after modifying a big assy files (includes top level). When i click on workspace on the left navigator to see the modified files, ProE WF4 crashes. After that, if i login again by activating the same workspace and either click on workspace on the left navigator or directly pull the file menu and select open also not working, proe crashes. All i have to do is, just login in web browser and remove the files from workspace. I have to do the task from scratch again.

I use to check-out files from through iexplorer and check-in through ProE web interface. I cant do check-in through iexplorer after modifying the files in ProE.
How come check-out, undo check-out and remove files gets linked with ProE web interface? But modifications done in ProE shows inside ProE web interface but not in iexplorer.

What could be the problem?
Is this a bandwidth issue?
PDMLink server ping time out?
How can we interlink internet web browser with ProE web interface?

Thanks in advance....
Sometime i loose many many hours of work because of this issue. Please help me out.

It sounds like a corrupted workspace. How long have you used this workspace ? Days?Weeks?Months?Years? We get those occasionally in Intraink 8.0.

Hey James,

I delete the workspace by the end of the day after check-in the files or by later next day when i start new task.

Actually i retrieved my work back. I removed checked-out files from Iexplorer, because i couldn't able to get into the active workspace inside ProE web interface. But i didn't delete the workspace. Later next day when i came to work in the morning, i just tried to click on the workspace that i worked on last day inside Proe web interface. Luckily it opened and it was showing all the updated parts as new. There was no check-out parts.

So i did back up all my updated files to local drive. You dont believe me i have deleted the cache also. And i tried to open master assy it showing as new, it was gathering all the updates from cache. Although it took a while to open master inside workspace but i retrieved my work back. After that i have imported my updated files back to the new workspace and checked-in successfully.

What is the thing was going on here? I am still not able to validate this process of retrieving the files back.

I'd have to check the material but I think the reason you don't see modifications in the external web browser is that it can't connect to your local workspace it only connects to the server side workspace. To see the modifications for check-in in the external web browser you need to make sure the changes are uploaded to the server side workspace from within ProE.

Yes that is correct Kdem.

Actually i figured out, everything is related to bandwidth. Theoretically, minimum speed required to access long distance servers is 2 MBPS. But practically we need more than that if we are handling big assembly files.

Everytime when i click workspace after updating the files, it starts accessing the long distance server and downloads items which is on web interface.

I would recommend you set up a replicated database. This way you can have all the same data locally and eliminate the bandwidth issues.

I worked with the database and vault remote for a couple years and it was so unbearable for large assemblies and cause so much corruption that I just moved the data to my site. Now the main company only needs to access the viewables so they are only transferring light weight viewable files to view and print.

I had planned on setting up a replicated database for certain products and marketing documents since they deal with that at the other site. Just haven't got to it, yet.

What is that replicated database?

I am not accessing our own server which is at many miles of distance. I am accessing our client's server. I dont think our client will allow to set up replicated database.

This may sound completely unrelated, but may be worth giving it a try:

1. <LI>Make sure your network card is not set to "Autonegotiation" for the network speed but rather force it to 100mb full duplex.</LI>
    <LI>Clear the event manager. When it gets too big it's known to cause crashes.</LI>
    <LI>If necessary, you can clear the event manager manually by deleting the files with the following command: c:\documents and settings\%username%\Application Data\PTC\ProENGINEER\Wildfire\.wf\.cache2\Your Server address\events\* /QYou may want to add this command to the batch file that starts Pro/E so the events get cleared every time you launch Pro/E. Change the text in red for your information. You can also browse to this location and delete the files from the windows explorer.</LI>

I hope it helps.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back