Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Win XP 64-bit good for Proe these days?

2ms1

I know people used to have lots of problems running Pro/E onWindows 64-bit when it first came out at least.

Now I've just bought Mac and have to decide whether to get 32-bit or 64-bit Windows. Of course my CPU is 64-bit so I would like to take advantage of that.

But does Pro/E still have problems with 64-bit Windows XP? I'm running WF3.

Pro-e should be fine on 64bit now. I am exchanging my laptop for a desktop next week and will be going for vista 64bit.

I've been running WF4 on Vista-64 for a little while now. Seems faster than 32bit but could also be the fact that I'm on 4 cores at home vs. 2 cores at work. I will say though that GPU processing (spinning models etc.) is slower in Vista than XP on the same system. That was determined from benchmark scores on a dual-boot system with XP and Vista. During live use I couldn't tell the difference. Just thought I'd point out that in my experience some things are a little slower (albeit almost imperceptibly) but overall it seems faster.

Im sure as pro-e keeps updating and growing more & more things will be utilising the x64bit systems. If you dont upgrade now you will in the future
smiley2.gif

Picked up my new pc components today, time to plan the change-over and re-build etc.. nightmare ! Cant wait to put it to the test though with some decent models & rendering. Contemplating installing the WF5 on it too !

I've been running WF4 on XP 64 for a year, no problems whatsoever. I'm sooo glad I got hold of XP 64 when I did (it was hard to find). Saves me from having to use Vista 64bit!

Only issue with XP 64 is drivers. Make sure your essential hardware has drivers for XP 64, or you may be replacing some hardware.

pro_eek, yes I had massive issues with drivers when I installed xp64 and had to revert back to 32bit. It was a nightmare getting other software to run too, autocad, photoshop & illustrator all had issues.

Im crossing my fingers that vista should be OK. I have horrible feeling the next few days of installs are gonna cause headaches !

Hi Skint, only software issues I had on XP 64 was installing some FPS games! I guess thatprevented a potential bad habit and saved me a lot of valuable time...

I run Photoshop and Illustrator CS2 just fine on XP 64, maybe there was another problem with your installation?

My driver issuespertained toan old webcam and TV tuner card. I've now learnt to first check driver availability before buying hardware.

Another small issue in XP 64 is to set your shortcuts to Internet Explorer, to the 32 bit version on your PC. I use 32bit IE, because there isnt a Flash plugin for IE 64 bit.

NO flash plugin for IE64
smiley18.gif
thats a bit pants isnt it !!! I will check that out on vista 64 too. A mate of mine owns a website company and is running with vista64 so im guessing all is good lol.

I spoke to a chap at technical from adobe, he said I may have " issues " installing photoshop on vista 64
smiley18.gif

mmm, I really have no problems running Photoshop or Illustrator 32 bit on XP64. I would think that Adobe will have 64 bit versions of Photoshop etc by now?

Its no big deal really that IE64 doesnt have a flash plugin. IE32 is installed on XP64 anyway, so I just use that.

enjoy your new machine !

2ms1 said:
Now I've just bought Mac and have to decide whether to get 32-bit or 64-bit Windows. Of course my CPU is 64-bit so I would like to take advantage of that.

But does Pro/E still have problems with 64-bit Windows XP? I'm running WF3.

Pro/E itself is fine. There is at least one feature that isn't available in the 64-bit version of WF3: print-to-pdf in drawing mode. This was restored in WF4.

But if you have some other software you want to run in Windows, particularly anything that relies on or installs drivers, do your research before you get Windows XP x64.

If you are planning on running WinXP in a virtual machine (VMware, Parallels, Virtualbox) than I would just get the 32-bit version. In fact, I'm not sure a 64-bit windows is supported???

Regards,

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back