Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

wildfire 5.0 drawing user interface

No, there is no setting that will change the drawing area, and it is not possible to remove (or add) commands to the Ribbon Interface.

For now, it is going to be a little painful to get used to it, but give it some time and I think that you will find that it is not as bad as it first appears to be.

When I first saw it in development, and again last month,I felt it was the worst interface changes ever, and that I would never be able to adjust.
But now, after I started my internal testing, it is not so bad, and I can imagine in the future that customization is going to be allowed.
And the way I look at this is, there have been some major improvements to broken functionality and some new functionality added that out weighs the inconvience of the Drawing Interface.

jipsy said:

With a 1280x800 (typical laptop) resolution it's a pain to use the new interface, notice also that you get wasted space to the right of the ribbons, but still some names are truncated, this is no good... You can customize the appearance of the ribbon, but still I'd like to have the option to switch to a menu/toolbar model... I never used the Office ribbon, but I think it's also useless that "greyed out" items are always present in the ribbon and don't collapse to give room for ungrayed commands...

If I understand correctly only user interface for Drawing module has changed to ribbon style.

What about other modules? Will PTC again be changing user interfaces with thefuture releasedversions? Will we have to live with two or more different interfaces within the same version (in WF3 some features are still made with the box above right, while others have been supplemented with dashboard)?

skraba said:
If I understand correctly only user interface for Drawing module has changed to ribbon style.

What about other modules? Will PTC again be changing user interfaces with thefuture releasedversions? Will we have to live with two or more different interfaces within the same version (in WF3 some features are still made with the box above right, while others have been supplemented with dashboard)?

You are correct, the ribbon is only for drawing. I don't think they will include it in the modeling section, but at the end of the day it will not substitute the dashboard. I mean that drawing and modeling already had different interfaces.

I hope that they will wildfire-ize more commands (i.e. datum curves!), or allow to customize context and main menus (for example I never use helical sweep, I'd rather use a VSS with trajpar...)

extreme said:
For Wf5 it is only drawing mode. Future releases WILL be chaging also.

If this is the case, I hope they leave the option to step back to the old interface, I mean, after all it's only a different way to place buttons...

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back