Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wildfire 5.0 compatibility issues...

jrc333

I recently purchased Pro E wildfire 5.0 student edition, but I'm having some compatibility issues with the software at my University. Any file I create on my version will load on the software in my lab. However, any file created in lab will not load on my home computer. It says the files were created on a commercial version...

What I don't understand is that PTC explicitly states thatany files created on the student edition will be completely compatible with the software at any university lab if they are the same version. Which they are.So am I to conclude that somehow my university for some reason has a commercial license and that PTC has incorrect information on their website. If this is somehow true, then why am I able to load my files ontopro E in my lab. For PTC also says that that any commercial version cannot load files created on a student edition... So obviously their info is wrong somewhere.

If someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks alot.
Edited by: jrc333

For what its worth, PTC has a module they don't announce that will allow the student version of files to be imported into the commercial version. In don't believe it's for sale. This may be what your running into.

Hi jrc333,

What you can't do is use a file created with a commercial license of Pro/E in the student edition - so you need to confirm if your university has commercial licenses or not.

PTC state this clearly:

<ul>[*]Pro/ENGINEER Student Edition is compatible with Pro/ENGINEER
Educational Edition found in College and University labs. Pro/ENGINEER
Student Edition is NOT compatible with commercial. [/list]
(*Provided that the Student Edition and Educational Edition are both the same Pro/ENGINEER release)Whoever runs your labs will be able to confirm if the Uni has educational editions or not. If they have the educational edition, it is worth the system administrator contacting PTC to confirm that the licenses are correctly applied.

Good luck

Thanks for the responses. I was able to verify today that my lab does indeed have an educational license. I still able to fix the problem though. Naturally it wasa simple fix. Apparently if you want to copy a file to a medium such as a flash drive you have to do so within pro E itself. If you copy with windows explorer or some other means partof the data is lost and another machine won't load it. Thanks alot though. I'm sure I will be back lol!

There is no problem copying files with windows explorer or any other method. However, remember that Pro/E needs to be able to find ALL the files referenced by higher level objects. Copying just an assembly file or just a drawing file will not work, you must copy the part files (& format files in the case of a drawing) as well. So for a new user perhaps you are better off using the Pro/E data management tools.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back