Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Why can’t I use autodrill?

penjas14

When using a pro e part I can open the autodrilling table, but when using an iges as my ref model it won't even open. I have axes for all the holes that I put in. Is this because it is an iges or is there something else going on? I am using WF3 M080.

i think you need to have the appropriate geometry available for autodrill to 'see', in order for it to work.

PTC has created an unsupported toolkit application, Autoaxis, that will evaluate imported geometry, creating axes, and then grouping them. This will allow the imported geometry to have holemaking sequences created on them.

This may be a viable solution for you.

If needed, i can create a link for you to download the autoaxis application. It should also be available from PTC, on their website. I can't access the (PTC) link right now, but there is a 'project' you can request access to, that has the autoaxis tool, plus a lot more info.

You might also try creating a hole group, but it think the autodrill tool is still going to want to see more geometry.

regards-
-tsl

Thanks for the quick reply. I have heard of the auto axis for creating axes but have been putting off installing it. I created hole groups and it still wouldn't work. I am going to try and install the auto axis toolkit and I will try it again. Thanks

i only mentioned autoaxis, since you listed WF3.
WF4 has new functionality, Feature Recognition Tool, that has that functionality, plus a lot more.
FRT is a free download, from PTC. It is only available for WF4, and newer versions.

-tsl

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back