Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Which steps should i use?

pljugalj

I need to manufacture model below, can someone advice which steps should i use? I know that face / volume milling and drilling will help, what other steps should i use.

4vvCX.png

Edited by: pljugalj

You could also use trajectory milling. Pretty much the whole part. Use volume for the pockets (backside), face for the backside and drilling.
Many ways to skin that part!!

Tony

Hi Pljugalj,
If it were me I would do this in4 operations.
1. Skim thickness, mill perimeter, mill around boss leaving it large, drill and countersink holes. Option - take boss to size if tolerances are open.
2. Either clamp across length on angled parallels with c'sinks down and mill pocket from backside along with thru slot or bolt to a block thats milled at the angle.
3. Flip part over finish mill the perimeter of the boss.
4. Clamp across length on angled parallels, find center of slot, and finish mill the serrated slots. Use angled block from step 2 above.
If the tolerances are notcritical, you could do this in 3 operations. Two ops if you have a 4th axis rotary table or 5 axis machining center.

Jay.

Hi Mr. Rieger,
I'm all eye's. I'm interested in knowing your steps. I'm no genius. I'm looking at it purely from a basic 3 axis VMC. I know you can flip the part in the middle of the program and continue on the opposite side but you still have to tilt the part to get the angled surfs and pocket or buy/use a nutating head or angled holder in the spindle to reduce the operations.
Also, if you have access to a rotary table or machine with additional axes, you can reduce the setups and operations.
Maybe it's a part with limited lot sizes or proto-type altogether.
These are my justifications for multiple setups that requireless expensive fixturing or machines with high hourly rates.

Thanks,
Jay.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back