Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

wheel part

tiger6425

On pages 7-17 through 7-19, I am having trouble getting the
pattern to show like in figure 34 on page 7-19. I created the wheel with
revolve 360. Then I drew up the sketch like in figure 32, then when I
patterned that sketch, I clicked the 30 degree dimension and changed that to 72
in Dimension 1 and in the box where it says "enter the number of pattern
members in the first direction, I entered 5 like in wheel3.jpg and doesn't
spread out like it should (I think it sticks to 30 degree increments believe it
or not). I don't know what they mean by 5 copies (in 7-19 first
paragraph), but I assumed it was pattern members, then I verified the pattern
and the pattern came out funny like in wheel4. Is there something I am missing
like in the sketch from figure 32 or something?

2011-04-15_151759_Wheel.zip2011-04-15_151821_Wheel2.zip

From your pictures you have some bad sketch constraints and a missing sketch centerline along DTM1. Place a centerline through the hub center axis and along DTM1. In your picture there are to small linesat the center of the 1.5 dia arc and the endpoint of the lower line entity that is tangent to it. This is causing the to points to remain aligned. To be consistant with the PDF instructions delete the constraint and add a symmetric constraint for the endpoints of the lines tangent to the 1.5 dia arc. Then try the pattern to see if it works.

Going through the directions it looks like they were for an earlier version. Depending on the version you're using once you have the first cut created in the pattern dialog create an axis pattern and specify either 5 instances at 72 degree or set it for 5 instance with an angle extent of 360 degrees.

I tried model again and there are some very specific instructions for the creation of the offset datum that need to be followed for the feature to work correctly as described. Take a look at paragraph three on 7-18 if you are still having problems. If you just create an offset datum andstart an extrude featureyou need toselect dtm1as the orientation reference for the feature topattern correctly.You can redefine the sketch setup so there may be no need to start the feature over completely.
Edited by: kdem

In case you're interested in still trying to match the directions you have here are some screen shots showing how to correct the model. Based on what you have shown here is what I get after correcting the constraints:

View attachment 5039

View attachment 5040

View attachment 5041

Here are the screen shots to correct the sketch setup references:

View attachment 5042

View attachment 5043

View attachment 5044

View attachment 5045

View attachment 5046

Here are some screen shots of what youget for the pattern leader sketch setup if the directions are followed:

View attachment 5047

View attachment 5048

View attachment 5049

That is very helpful. Thank you very much for the step by step instructions and helping me with the wheel model kdem.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back