Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

What is the ’trace curve’ button do?

Uni Phil

Can someone tell me what the 'trace curve' option does in the mechanism menu of the mechanism part of Pro/E WF 2.0.

I'm intrigued as to what results it can harbour so maybe I can utalise this option in the future

well it traces a point or vertex and gives u a curve.

ie
say u have a box. 1x1x1.
u have a axis in the middle of it.
set up the box so it rotates on that axis

---
use trace sketch and select on the of the corner vertex..
the resulting curve would be a circle.

u can do really cool 3d looking stuff.

in the files section there is part of a escivator which uses it. d/l it and have a play with it.

Trace curve is the coolest function I've seen in a while.

I had to design a new deep sump oil pan for a small block Chevy, after I modeled the entire engine I used Mechanism Design to cycle the engine.

I put a point on the very most outer intersection between the rod cap and the oil pan, thenI would run a trace curve on every cylinder giving me a perfect elliptical path to show me where to put the stroker notches.

If you get a change to use it you'll like it

well ek- I wondered- i figured it was to do some kinda transfer of a curve to 2D media (a drawing sheet)- this sounds like its worthy of some additional exploration.

jrobi,

There was an example in my workbook that showed a crane going thru a motion of picking up dirt, lifting vertically, swinging to the right, then dumping the dirt, and they did a 3-d trace curve of that motion with the fixed point ontop of the bucket.

I used it last night for the first time and it's pretty damn cool in a geeky pro/e way.

I was looking for a way to trace a curve a couple of weeks ago, but now it looks like i have it now.

Cheers guys

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back