Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

WF4 & Kaspersky AV

prohammy

Quick question for you all.

We have one PC with Kaspersky (6.0)AV and the user is complaining that the performance of WF4 has gone down since installation (Open files takes longer, spinning model can be jumpy)

Anyone seen anything like this before and anyone got any suggestions (barring the obvious get another AV)

Kev

ALL virus scanners slow down your PC. Some positively cripple performance.

While sometimes it is CPU cycles they steal, with others it is the disk activity that saps the life from your PC.

My advice, practice safe computing and don't use virus scanning in real time. Besides they only protect you from old viri, not brand new ones.

DB

Good Question ! Im about to get rid of Norton Anti Virus in exchange for Kaspersky. I have it already installed on a different pc ( without pro-e ) and even with normal applications Kaspersky seems much less dependant. Norton sux ass IMO !!

Men, I have norton on all machines, never had a problem. I have norton 360 and right now its demanding 4.5MB - cant complain there.

Up to you what you want to do about AV, I would advise to have one, since 98% of virus's out there are olds, then its safe to say that you are pretty much covered. I'm sure most people know how costly it can be to have a virus get into your systems.

I have seen the very same thing whilst on some corporate networks, just clicking the open command prompted a wait of 10-20 seconds. Unfortunately I am not a networking wiz so I really cant say what the problem was there.

In my office I have 3 machines running, we have 2 servers, one is a backup and we have no such issues with either proe, solidworks, modo, scanning software. No lag on wireless either.

Is Kaspersky doing some comms in the background with other machines. I know that some of the AV softwares communicate with other machine on the same network to setup trusted machines etc...

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back