Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

WF2 Lock Up, Causing Shutdown/Restart

FORSETI

Since the company I work for has moved to WF2, I have had an issue with the number of files I can have open at once and still make a modiification. In 2001, I was able to have 15-16 open and thenPRO/E would pop-up with a statement that it could open no more files. WF2, on the other hand, allows me to have four open and still make modifications,butonce I have the fifth file open and try to modify any of them, it locks up and I have to close all windows and shutdown/restart the computer.

I have noticed that either the explorer.exe or the xtop.exe process spikes to 88%-98% CPU usage and renders the computer locked. I have tried to time out the process but have never had it relinquish.

Since I do not have the use of Intralink at this time, I run into many instances in which I need to have five files and sometimes more in order to efficiently use the files to my time/work advantage.

Any help is well appreciated!

Thanks,

FORSETI

How much memory does your computer have? WF needs a lot, we use 1 GB but if you have large assemblies you need more. Your graphics card memory may be a problem as well. Also try updating your graphics card driver.

It must be a hardware problem, since we also use a large number of files at any one time.

Unfortunately for us, we usually require more than the 15 that wildfire allows you to open @ any one time, but we're managing at the moment.

sounds more like u have faulty ram.

try changing it for ur coworkers ram. and testing it out. should work better.

when ur computer runs out of ram it begins using ur hdd swap file so it just slows down bucket loads.

Thanks for the inputs.

I have downloaded to newest version of the videocard driver and the updates are nice but haven't fixed this problem.

I currently have 1GB RAM, but it is not the lack of RAM that is the issue because the CAD Admin. runs with 2 and has the same lock up. I have put in for a diagnostic of the RAM on my machine with our MIS dept...still pend.

The hardware is not the issue unless every comp. in the company has the same fault.

Is there any other variance in hardware/software that could be the culprit?

This sounds like a graphics card problem to me. What type of card do you have? Is it supported/certified?

To check and seeif the problemisgraphics related or not, enter the following config option;

graphics win32_gdi

Note: it takes a restart of Pro for this setting to take affect.

Once you have this option set test it out and see if you notice a difference.

WF2 locks up all the time with just one file open here. I believe there is something up with Pro/e Refresh. If you have multipul windows up and start editing somthing from one to the other Proe will lock up everytime. Save every 2 seconds, it the only advise I can give.

jfaush,

I tried the graphics option and I was able to have more files open and still have mod. capability (I haven't assertained the number but its around 10). The downfall was that it caused every view on the drawings to refresh with any action taken. That was frustrating to say the least. I guess a work around would be to switchto and fro.

phoxeoy,

I feel you on the obssesive savings...regardless, that is one thing I have never trusted PRO/E for.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs

It's definitely graphic card problem and driver. It depends which card do you have. If you have regular graphic card (not professional Quadro or FireGl or 3D labs) tried to tweak drivers. I have nvidia FX5600 ultra and its tweaked to quadro 1000, for more informations how to do that go to www.guru3d.comAlso in config.pro set graphics to openGL not to win_32. I have this options set and I'm able to open all 15 windows without causing WF2 to crash or to get slow.

I did not see anywher what kind of system it is and if it is PTC Certified, thats my first question. I have found in the past that Video Cards will mess up with certain MBs and Ram, and certain makes have known issues. The reason it was good in 2001 and now gives you problems is WF 2.0 pushes graphics much harder. In the past I have had machines with $100 cards certified by PTC smoke $600 ones that are supported not certified in the same machine. People tend to forget that the MB has to play nice with the Graphics card.
One important thing on memory is that the memory is the same type and matched, if it is not when you try and access it applications hose out especially in PTC land. Other apps seem more forgiving.
Another item to check is the swap space, watch and see if the swap is hitting a wall and not adjusting, such things as multiple swaps on different volumes cause problems. I have seen this way too often and for some reason Windows is not adjusting the swap size and when you hit say around 1.2 gig it craps everything out. I have found by keeping the swap on the same partition as windows performance and problems are much better.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back