Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

way to merge parts inside of assembly?

2ms1

Is there any way to merge 2 parts (into one part)within an assembly?

A have an assembly with lots of subassemblies in it and had to create several parts from within assembly mode (using Insert>Component>Create>Part).This was necessary becausethe shapesand dimensions depended on the position ofmany things in the assembly and so the parts coudln't be made outside of assembly mode.

The problem is thatsometimes they don'tintegratewell. I would like to,for example, add rounds/filets where some of the parts intersect each other. However, it appears that you cannot do a round between two separate parts. So is there any way to get around this by, for example, combinethe parts inside ofassembly mode?

You could achive this by creating a new part in the asmthat contains the geometry from the other modells. That way you can create rounds "between the parts" in that part. As far as i know you cant add rounds and chamfers between seperate part in an asm? (well...maybe something that look like chamfers using pro/weld?? )

If you got AAX the gopy geom is the way to go, otherwise, use merge.... there are seweral threads here on mcad about this.

//Tobias

without AAX you can use the actual merge function inside assembly mode. It should be self explanatory enough once you find the menu pick.
Edited by: design-engine

I ended up being able to get around the not being able to make rounds in assembly mode issueby merging the two involvedparts outside of the assembly.

However, I still would like to copy a datum curve I created in assembly mode back into one of the parts that is in the assembly. I can't seem to figure out how to do this. I have AAX. When I try to use Copy Geometry, I am told to publish geometry but it won't let me select anything...

With Copy Geom I am able to successfully sync up placement between the part and the assembly:

However, then it seems to want me to "Publish Geom" but nothing is selectable in the model, so it just seems there is no way to use Copy to accomplish what I want:

Anyone know any other ways to copy a datum curve from an assembly into a part?

2ms1 said:
Anyone know any other ways to copy a datum curve from an assembly into a part?

activte the part, then copy/paste the curve. i wouldnt suggest it tho.., but...it works.

//Tobias

btw, what happens if you click on the "publish geom" button? what i mean is "uncheck it", then you should have the regular "copy geom" menu?? .... and there you can copy your curves.

//Tobias

Thanks. Well that was easy-- the delecting "publish geom" button worked. Why is that pressed by default? What exactly is publishing geoometry anyway? The Pro/E help doesn't seem to provide very clear explanation.

publish geomtery is like a box. You can put all you want in thebox (geometry, datums, surfaces, curves...) and then , in antoher part, you can import your box of referenses...

a referense collector.

//Tobias
Edited by: tobbo

[url]http://proe.ippd.ufl.edu/wildfire/html/usascii/proe/aax/abou t_publish_geometry_features.htm [/url]

"When you create a Copy Geometry or External Copy Geometry feature, you can reference a Publish Geometry feature. By so doing, you copy, with a single selection, a local collection of model geometry to other models as a single entity. This reduces the number of menu picks required to copy the same geometric references to several other models and also allows an efficient way to control what references are used."

//Tobias

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back